Herald 13/60

jean ingo

I think you drive it to use the torque  rather than revving the guts out of it, it does need the OD gearbox and different diff ratio.

I went for the mid Newman cam as I wanted the broad flat torque, makes it a pleasure to drive and seems to suit the Herald.
But really does not sound as nice as a 6.... :( 

Mike

6 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

The Spit 1500 engine will never be as sweet as a six but it's a decent enough engine. If I was rebuilding a 1500, I'd have crank, conrods, pistons, flywheel etc fully balanced to smooth things out. That said, most Spit 1500 owners seem happy enough with their engines.

As has been said, the four cylinder 1500 is a much easier conversion than fitting a six into a Herald 13/60. With a Mk3 camshaft and a bit of gas flowing on the cylinder head, it would be decently quick on SU carbs.

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

If you read my previous posting you will find I support yours and Nick's views on using the 1500 engine, having done so in the past, in a Herald. 

I my case I went to 1500 then to 2 Litre and finally back 1500 because I felt it suited the Herald Estate far better. The tuned 1500 had enough go to keep up with TR3 and TR4 in a convoy to the TR International a few years ago. Well somebody had to haul the beer there!

As I said not as sweet as the six but it does it job.

Dave