Fitting GT6 internal door release

StevieB

I have a new door release (internal) for my GT6 Mk3, and have successfully removed the old broken one. I have a replacement one all refurdb'ed and ready to go. Problem is I can't fathom how to re-connect it all. I can see where all the bits go, but just cannot get the 'lock' lever re-connected.

To remove, I released the mechanism at the lock-end for the door release. The lock lever though is threaded, and does not release so easily. I got the old door release out by being bloody minded.

Can anyone offer some advice on the procedure for refitting this, I have it in now, but not the door lock.

(I am guessing I need to release both linkages from the lock-end, then fit to the release mechanism. If I did this, I cannot see how I will be able to screw the threaded part of the lock 'bar' again).

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

PS I have tried using a lot of technical language at it, but with little success. :-(

The book says "to refit is the reversal of the removal procedure." Not very helpful :wacko:

I am a bit confused when you say "The lock lever though  is threaded. " If I remember correctly the internal door handle is connected to the door lock mechanism by 2 rods. These rods can be released at either end. The are a push fit. The clips are released by pushing the metal tab (located close to the end of the control rod) away from the control rod. The rod should then just lift out and away from which ever end you are disconnecting. I will try and scan a picture from my workshop manual and upload the picture.

What you are looking for at the door lock mechanism end of the control rod is a clip that looks like these.

Control rod to door lock mechanism connecting clips

As I said you push the control rod out of the metal clip by pushing the clip away from the rod using the metal tabs and the rod lifts away from the door lock mechanism.

Refitting is the reverse of this. Insert the end of the control rod into the retaining clip (red plastic bit in the picture) insert rod and clip into the respective hole on the lever on the door lock mechanism and rotate the clip such that the metal part engages with and around the control rod.

Thanks for your reply, and photo. Sorry for my late response, but I have been away.

The clips you show are like the ones for the door release. BUT, my lock rod is threaded at the door mechanism end. It threads into a 'pin' which is where the red part of your clip would locate.

I am thinking now, that what I have is a repair of old, in the absence of said clips. I think then, I need to remove the rod (unscrew it), and replace the connection with clips like you have. Where did you get them from?

(Bit of a shame, cos I broke the plastic lock 'knob' on the handle  trying to refit it, I shall have to retrieve the one from the original, and fit that. One more little job to do. :-) )

Thanks for your reply, and photo. Sorry for my late response, but I have been away.

The clips you show are like the ones for the door release. BUT, my lock rod is threaded at the door mechanism end. It threads into a 'pin' which is where the red part of your clip would locate.

I am thinking now, that what I have is a repair of old, in the absence of said clips. I think then, I need to remove the rod (unscrew it), and replace the connection with clips like you have. Where did you get them from?

(Bit of a shame, cos I broke the plastic lock 'knob' on the handle  trying to refit it, I shall have to retrieve the one from the original, and fit that. One more little job to do. :-) )

James Paddock keep those clips

Open the link and scroll down about half a page.

http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/parts.aspx?categoryID=27&vehicleId=4