Door repairs.

Wagger

Back int 1974 I repaired my Vitesse driver's door before a respray. I cut the bottom of the skin away below where the ridge is and removed the whole bottom section of the skin. Where I worked, we had an off cut of brass sheet of a similar gauge. I carefully shaped it, ground all of the edges until they were bright and coated the joining areas with the expensive silver solder that we kept in our stores. Folded the edges over, bolted with countersunk brass screws and soldered it all together. It made a good job. Filled over some other areas with Lead/tin solder, rubbed down and sent the whole car to a pal for respray. It never showed afterwards. A really good job.

Ok. anyone got any sheets of brass?

5 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Back int 1974 I repaired my Vitesse driver's door before a respray. I cut the bottom of the skin away below where the ridge is and removed the whole bottom section of the skin. Where I worked, we had an off cut of brass sheet of a similar gauge. I carefully shaped it, ground all of the edges until they were bright and coated the joining areas with the expensive silver solder that we kept in our stores. Folded the edges over, bolted with countersunk brass screws and soldered it all together. It made a good job. Filled over some other areas with Lead/tin solder, rubbed down and sent the whole car to a pal for respray. It never showed afterwards. A really good job.

Ok. anyone got any sheets of brass?

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/brass/brass-sheet/89791-p
Paul

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

Thanks Paul. It's much easier than the welding, grinding, painting, rusting, grinding merry go round.

You can buy repair panels for lower 1/2 of the doors , I have a pair , pm me  if you are interested 

Paul