Door seal positioning

Ian Cooper

Hi all.

Has anyone got a definitive position for the 'A Post' seal for a Mk2 GT6?

Rimmers have supplied what looks to be good quality items including Furflex door seals, 'A post' seals and cill seals.

The Furflex seals are obvious but the 'A Post' seals can be fitted so that they run well down the 'A Post' and down the door front area, or they could be positioned to run extensively along the top of the door aperture and down the 'A Post' just down to the window/waistline. Anyone got a view?

Thanks

Ian

Ah! The nightmare world of GT6 door seals!!!!

I can find credible authenticity photographs for Mk1 and Mk3, but not Mk2. But both Mk1 and Mk3 had the P-seal extending along the underside of the roof for about 3  inches before turning down the screen frame and terminating at about the level of the bonnet catch plates. I suppose it's a reasonable assumption that Mk2 would have been the same.

The main door seals can be highly problematic. The original main seal on the GT6 (and Spitfire for that matter) was an ingenious, very flexible, multi-flap seal, but I've never seen a reproduction of it. I don't know what Rimmers would supply as this part but it could be a generic form of the foam, bubble type, side seal (albeit on furflex). These can be too fat and obstruct closing of the door (near the door latch where the gap is the least) or push the drop glass out in the top rear corner.  So worth eyeing it up carefully before fitting.

I have the 'P' seals on my Spit. I think that they may also be the 'bubble' seals but not sure. Many recommend the 'flap' type, but my driver's door suffers from the dreaded cill fitting gap, so I need the extra thickness to fill the gap. I did try taking the seal off in case that was the cause of the problem by pushing out from the top, but just ended up with a dreadful draft so put the seal back on before it rained!!