Spitfire 1500 123 ignition distributor

Graham IOW

Hi i know this is probably a long shot, but i have fitted an Ivor Searle power plus stage 2 engine, Twin 40 DCOE Webers and on advice from the suppliers a 123 ignition programmable distributor . i was wondering if anybody had done similar and would know or could supply a ignition curve for the distributor i have contacted the manufacture but have had no luck on the best way to set this up , i have got it to tick over but the timing doesn't seem to be correct thanks in advance Graham.

Sounds like a trip to a rolling road would be your best bet. Even if someone happens to have a similar setup, it’s going to be similar rather than identical! So whatever parameters that have set will not necessarily be appropriate for your car. 

I am running a 123Ignition Tune+ on my TR4, I started by replicating the curve of the std distributor which should be available from the WSM. This will get you running - but then you can tweak it from there. 
Remember that whatever  advance figures you dial into the 123 will be in addition to any static advance you may have set.

A Rolling Road session with someone who knows your setup is the best path to get things spot on.

…… Andy 

• 4 months later...

I know I a am a bit late to this post but if you have not solved for it I can send you a good starting 123 ignition curve with the correct vacuum advance element. Used on my spitfire 1500. 

If for your engine you have higher compression than standard you might need to reduce the advance slightly after 2000 rpm.

Also do not just rely on setting it with the green light, once you have fitted the 123 and got it running pick a reference point at say 2000 rpm and use a programmable strobe to set that at TDC it will be much more accurate. 

I have a standard 1500 ( 1980 ) with K&N air filters and appropriate needle. Flies round to 80 MPH no problem, yours should be even quicker.

As the previous post says, a rolling road will do the trick.

I also have an MGB GT V8 with a 3.9 high compression engine that I have just fully rebuilt. That was put on a rolling road with a programmable 123 - done at Northampton Motorsport - I live just outside Brighton.