SU HS6

Wagger

My 2500TC engine has the standard twin SU's. Do any of you know what thread is used for the dashpot plunger. Having failed to find a short dashpot version, I am toying with the idea of removing 5 to 10mm from the top, plunger and dashpot. I can then gain better clearance with sump and carb using shims and let nephew loose to remove the lugs on the front plate.

Alternatively, I do have some very large taps and can make up the whole assembly.

Wagger,

Yes the tall dashpots, plus the canted engine tilted over in the saloon for a lower bonnet line, are pitfalls when fitting a saloon engine to a Vitesse.  Even more a GT6!

A simpler solution is to cut a hole in the bonnet over the front carb, and fit a dome.    I have one, came off my previous Vitesse when I converted to Pi.

Or, fit a sexy air scoop, as fitted to SofS!  

Pm me if you want the dome!

John

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

I am toying with the idea of removing 5 to 10mm from the top, plunger and dashpot.

I did similar with Stromberg 175 CD2s on my GT6 Mk2, actually reducing height by 6mm.

Some careful measuring was undertaken to ensure that the slide could still rise fully (not that I suspect it ever would). PDF of my AutoCad sketch attached for information.

I'm afraid that doesn't answer your about thread on SUs, but it should be possible to identify it using thread profile gauges. I suspect something imperial, given the UK origin.

Ian

STROM 175 CD2.pdf

59 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Wagger,

Yes the tall dashpots, plus the canted engine tilted over in the saloon for a lower bonnet line, are pitfalls when fitting a saloon engine to a Vitesse.  Even more a GT6!

A simpler solution is to cut a hole in the bonnet over the front carb, and fit a dome.    I have one, came off my previous Vitesse when I converted to Pi.

Or, fit a sexy air scoop, as fitted to SofS!  

Pm me if you want the dome!

John

John, at present I have a plate glued under the bonnet and a top hat made from plumbers pipe insulation sitting on the carb. I'm not taking pictures as the ridicule will be unbearable.

A lifetime of keeping production lines running plus fixing my transport every weekend in order to get to work in my younger days has resulted in me not caring what things look like so long as they work.

I have restored two motor bikes properly but with internals hugely modified. A friend who stripped one of my engines ten years on was amazed as I had lightened and polished everything. None of it looked 'Standard'. That was 55 years ago.

I'll sort this somehow. My mania for symetry would make me fit a 'Dome' on both sides of the bonnet.

Thanks JohnD. Those are the sort of jobs still within my scope. It's grovelling under that is the problem or upside down in the footwells. It takes 'years 'to extricate myself and stand up, by which time I have forgotton why I bothered. A never ending cycle.