Starting a bit of a problem when cold - and after a long layup - maybe solved.....

Anglefire

I've had my Spitfire 1500 for a about 7 years and has always had a pre-engaged starter (originally when I got it, it had a Dolly engine, hence starter).

It's always started well when hot or after a fairly short time standing. But if left a few weeks/months it can be a challenge - I've always put it down to no fuel in the carb bowls.

However, the last time I started it - which was a few weeks ago now, I remember it took ages to crank, then as soon as I released the key the running position, it started.

I decided to change the oil this morning, but first the battery was flat so had to charge it before starting the car to warm the oil - and then remembered the starting "problem". I did some digging and checked the wiring diagrams and decided that the ballast wire was always in circuit and never got shorted out on start. 

The original solenoid is still in place, but the ignition start wire goes straight to the pre-engaged starter with the bias shorting link still in place (The solenoid is a junction for the main feed to the starter now.) - and as the solenoid doesn't pull in, does come into play.

I therefore added a link to the original solenoid (After testing it still works) and now have full battery volts to the coil on cranking and back to 7v ish when running.

Just got to check it when cold now.

Oil change was done, except I found the filter I had in stock was one that fitted the car originally, but not now I have an oil cooler and hence a sandwich plate.........

• Like 1

Oil filter arrived today - only 1 of the 2 I ordered from the same place - second one arriving tomorrow.  No problem really but not that efficient- but glad it came!

Fitted it this afternoon and after making the wiring modification a bit neater and more logical fired her up and once checked over went for a spin to get some potatoes from the nearest coop  - the long way around obviously  🙄