Polycarbonate Windows GT6

John Bonnett

No doubt excellent service, but polycarbonate is so easy to cut with a jigsaw and fine blade, smoothing the edges with a Surform file, that I would never think of anything but DiY.

John

If it were just a case of cutting so would I John but there's a lot of double curvature in the rear window and also curvature on the drop glass which I doubt my ability to replicate.

Hello John.

Many thanks for flagging that company up and also a very timely.

I'm in the process of restoring my Alpine S5 hardtop and although the current poly is acceptable, a new rear window will enhance it no end. The other option is glass but that's another story !! 

I have not yet contacted the company, but do they hold shaped molds for different vehicles or how do they achieve the correct dimensions and curvature ??

Best wishes.

Richard.

Hello John.

Many thanks for flagging that company up and also a very timely.

I'm in the process of restoring my Alpine S5 hardtop and although the current poly is acceptable, a new rear window will enhance it no end. The other option is glass but that's another story !! 

I have not yet contacted the company, but do they hold shaped molds for different vehicles or how do they achieve the correct dimensions and curvature ??

Best wishes.

Richard.

Best give Mike a call Richard. He has no patterns for a GT6 so I'm sending him the rear window and drop glasses.

Ok John, will do and many thanks.

Good luck.

Richard.

Thank you Richard. I've decided to drop the glass up to him rather than risk sending it. I will mention it to him tomorrow when I see him. As far as I know, he lays the polycarbonate over the pattern and applies heat so that the plastic takes on the curvature. If that is the case I guess a polycarbonate pattern wouldn't work.

regards

John

Hello John.

Spoke with Mike today - very decent chap - and using the current Alpine's poly rear window is okay to make a new window; additionally he can also do the rear quarter windows. 

I said that I got his details through you via the Forum, which he was very happy with.

So all-in-all a very useful contact to have.

It would appear that Mike has a number of screen templates but not for our respective vehicles. 

Out of interest, are you going for poly due to weight or is a glass replacement not viable ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello John.

Spoke with Mike today - very decent chap - and using the current Alpine's poly rear window is okay to make a new window; additionally he can also do the rear quarter windows. 

I said that I got his details through you via the Forum, which he was very happy with.

So all-in-all a very useful contact to have.

It would appear that Mike has a number of screen templates but not for our respective vehicles. 

Out of interest, are you going for poly due to weight or is a glass replacement not viable ??

Regards.

Richard.

Just for lightness Richard. The concept of my car is build as light as possible to make it more nimble and responsive. Now what am I going to do with new drop glasses?  :)