Chassis outrigger repair

Hello there

1967 Vitesse convertible - chassis question. As mentioned on all my previous posts - I'm new to this and stuck at the bottom of a steep learning curve with every problem I find - so the forum's help is gratefully received.

At MOT last Oct the tester highlighted a patch of unsound metal on the bottom side of the front nearside outrigger. Not bad enough to fail - or get an advisory - but recommended it was looked at.

I finally got around to having a closer look last night. Wire brushed the paint off and picked at surface cracks that appeared. I pulled back the surface metal with pliers to reveal a patch of rot then poked it with an old screwdriver and it crumbled. The issue is right on the joint between the outrigger and the main rail (if that's the correct name). It looks to me  that the outrigger is joined to the main rail with a flange across the bottom of the rail. The hole I've created goes through this flange and into the bottom of the main rail. I stopped picking at it at this point.  It's not a massive hole (yet) - but clearly needs fixing.

So my questions are as follows. Before I start I'll point out I have never done any welding - know little about it and so won't be doing this repair myself...

1) Can this hole be repaired by cutting out the rotten metal (with a grinder) and patching it with a repair plate. (as it's on the joint I'm not sure if this is the way to go & welcome the views of those who have done this rather than a welder who quite frankly could tell me anything!)

2) I'm assuming that as the car passed it's test with the rot - it may still be safe to drive (a short distance) to a repairer with the hole exposed (as the rotten metal wasn't providing any strength anyway)

3) Or - Could/ should I seek out a mobile welder to sort this out with a patch  in my garage?

4) Or - does it sound like the outrigger should come off so the main rail can be properly looked at - instead of me just poking at it with an old  screwdriver lying on the floor of a cold dark garage? 

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks

Richard

You have no viable alternative to a patch.

Worth checking the main rails along the length, I did on my vitesse and found they were rotten. Hopefully yours are OK though.

You want to find weak/rusted areas so they can be fixed, the worst thing is to "not touch it just in case it makes a hole"!

Anyway, get recommendations for a welder, and yes, I wouldn't hesitate to drive the car. 

The welder will decide (maybe with your guidance) whether or not to repair or replace the front outrigger. New looks better, but it a bit more involved and a properly welded and treated repair will last just as long.

BTW once all that is sorted, get some very thin Dinitrol or similar in the chassis rails. You may need to drill some holes to spray it in, but well worth doing!

Clive - thanks for the advice. I'm optimistic that it's an isolated patch as MOT tester did tap along the length of both rails. Useful as he let me walk with him as he did his inspection - pointing out a number of suggested improvements/ small issues to attend to  under the car. Makes sense to check them again to see if there is more welding that needs doing at the same time though.

Thanks

Richard