Fitting front bumper to Mk 2 Spitfire.

mzandy

Hello very new to this classic car journey, only had my mk2 spit for a few months and just beginning to realise how much I don't know. Just purchased a front bumper for it from Rimmers and run into problems already, I was wondering if anyone can help. 

I am not sure if the over riders after bolting them to the bumper just simply hang on the bonnet hinges and then bolt the bumper to the car onto the brackets that pretrude through the front valance.

Or does the bolt for the over riders go through one of the holes on the bonnet hinge?

The bolt in the fitting kit for the over rider seems to long for both scenarios!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Andy

If it's anything like the Mk1 GT6 the bumper fits across the front first without any help needed from the overriders, and then the overriders are bolted on top with rubber / plastic sealing strips on either side. The overriders have a 'hook' inside that hangs over the bracket then the single bolt draws them in tight, and I'm nearly sure there should be a spacer / packing piece in behind the bumper. Be careful if the through-bolt is too long not to tighten it to far and so poke a dimple out of the front of the overrider. Measure carefully and if necessary pack out with washers.

On 02/10/2023 at 10:27, Colin Lindsay said:

If it's anything like the Mk1 GT6 the bumper fits across the front first without any help needed from the overriders, and then the overriders are bolted on top with rubber / plastic sealing strips on either side. The overriders have a 'hook' inside that hangs over the bracket then the single bolt draws them in tight, and I'm nearly sure there should be a spacer / packing piece in behind the bumper. Be careful if the through-bolt is too long not to tighten it to far and so poke a dimple out of the front of the overrider. Measure carefully and if necessary pack out with washers.

Thank you Colin for your response, after a lot of fiddling and swearing, cutting and measuring , cutting the holes in the front panel ,have finally got it fitted, 2 corner end bolts ,and the over rider bolted through the bonnet hinge through the bumper into the retaining nut on the over rider, not sure if that was necessary but all secure and looks great.