sump baffles

haggis

Hi, just wondering does anyone have any actual plans, with dimensions and details on a sump baffle for a late Vitesse engine? there seems to be lots of lovely pictures out there but not much technically? can anyone help? 

Thanks

HAg

Hag,

If you've looked for pictures, you've probably seen mine.   But no plans, as I never made any;  my baffles are built ad hoc, noting the level of the oil from the dipstick for a surface plate, then perforating that for the oil pump and dip stick, and mounting vertical baffles on the surface plate around the pump pick up at what seemed to be a suitable margin.   Leave 1/4" all around from the sump walls to let oil get through, except where the surface plate meets the forward, shallow part to prevent oil surge on braking.   And form a flange downwards on the pump and stick holes to inhibit oil from coming upwards.

My baffles are in aluminium, so I welded small, bendable steel brackets to the sump sides, that engage in slots in the surface plate and can be bent outwards like eletrical loom supports to keep it in place.     As so often is the case, CAD is very useful when designing these mods.   I use Cardboard Assisted Design all the time and can recommend cornflake packets, just the right combination of stiffness and flexibility!

John

The idea is that a plate at or near the surface damps the movement of the liquid.

The dipstick level will be that when the car is stopped and the oil drained back, so in use the oil will be a bit below that, but not much.

I don't think it's critical.

John