Advice on garage set up

Dave O

I’m restoring a Spitfire 1500 as my first classic and need some advice about some of the bigger tools please.

I hope to do everything myself including welding and spraying the bodywork as well as sandblasting some of the rusted components. I have already purchased a blast cabinet from machine mart.

So I’m looking at compressors and have read that a realistic minimum would be 100L/3hp/>10cfm to do spraying but I’d go for a higher spec if it makes the job easier?
Can anyone advise me when I look at the SIP website, it mentions 2 cfm readings, free air delivery and piston displacement. Which one is the right one to use when comparing and what would be the minimum to do HVLP spraying with for example?

Also what are the advantages of going for a larger tank eg 150 or even 200L? Do these sizes benefit even more for spraying or blasting?

Some of the larger sizes appear to need 16amp supply, is it worth getting an electrician in to put in an extra loop off the ring main? Would this be of use if I’m also thinking of MIG welding in the future?

Sip compressors appear to be the most popular from reading around on this forum. Any advice appreciated - I realise these are big decisions and want to make sure I get my equipment right. 

Thankyou, Dave O

I've owned a Sip direct drive 3hp 14cfm 10 Fad 150 ltr tank for probably 30 years. Ok for spraying, got a large sandblast cabinet, works, but they use a lot of air and it's a very slow process, not like you might visualise. The compressor will run air tools to a certain degree, but again, DA sanders, grinders use a lot of air, so I stick with electric power tools. Another thing to consider is the noise a compressor makes. If I was 30 years younger I would have probably looked at 3 phase, but would imagine that would be expensive to install. You can get by with a 3hp compressor on a basic DIY level definately enough for a spray gun, but it wouldn't be able to supply enough air for say an air fed mask at the same time. 

Direct drive compressors, I was warned, are much noisier than belt driven.   I didn't listen, and after I bought one, I couldn't hear! 

I built an enclosure for it, to sound "proof" ( shouting helps) and then had to fit an extractor fan to stop it overheating!

John