Vitesse Mk2 rear suspension

I think the damper rests on the bump stop when jacked up but I will check again later but if everything looks right maybe, as I have said before, it’s probably just me not knowing what position the car should be sitting in plus, with the state of the roads these days it’s hard to tell what the ride is like. I think that when I drive on a smooth surface I don’t notice any creaks or other noises, I was concerned that the damper was too close to the bump stop, but with that being the norm I will listen out for any other noises. I will have to wait until a few people come round to get another photo and I will post it later. Thanks for all of your help and advice.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Johny, you are correct - I didn't explain myself very well! I have had creaking noises coming from them, cured by stripping them and greasing the bolt and a little on the bushes.

Your right to check the bolt as a routine because they seem to only need a little time/rust and they seize solid in the sleeves. I left mine slightly too long and now have one which doesnt want to slide axially. I'll keep on trying to shift it but otherwise it'll have to be cut each side the next time the bushes need changing😭

Alan

Another thing worth checking is that you have the correct Mk2 Spring fitted.

I recently viewed and had a test drive in a restored Mk2 Vitesse Convertible before I purchased my present one, it had been fitted with an earlier incorrect Mk1 Spring, the ride was very hard and choppy.

A Mk2 Vitesse Spring should have 11 slim leaves and the outer clamps wraparound (as per the attached image), it is also a different shape/profile to the earlier springs, the wraparound outer clamps are to prevent it catching the Roto-flex drive couplings on full bump.

The attached chart shows you the various types of springs fitted to the small chassis Triumphs.

worth a check, I hope you get it sorted.

Gary

Spring Leaf Clamps.jpg

John Thomason Spring Article.pdf

Hi, I have just taken these photos with 2 adults sitting in the back. The height between the floor and the top of the wheel arch is 560mm . Which is the same as when the car is unladen 

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2570.jpeg

IMG_2571.jpeg

IMG_2573.jpeg

Alan

Does the ride height drop when you actually drive the car?

If not it would seem somethings seized or you have the wrong rear spring fitted as the rear suspension should compress with two people in the rear seat.

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

47 minutes ago, johny said:

I can see the wrap around outer clamp on the spring in that last photo....

Jonny

Yes I can see the correct outer clamp, it would appear its probably the correct spring then.

I've had issues in the past though with some of the reproduction springs offered by some of the suppliers, the one I had was too weak and sagged in no time at all😞

It's always difficult trying to diagnose a problem without a look or a test drive?

Gary

Hmm...

I would expect the wheels to be more vertical with 2 people in the back..something is not quite right, I think.

I wonder if a PO has overtightened the trunnion bolt beyond the correct torque (55-60lbs/ft) and so the steel spacers and nylon bushes are being 'pinched' by the wishbone arms??🤔

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, johny said:

Presumably the manual photo is with no load on the spring so Im surprised it isnt sitting on the bump stop but it depends on the spring design I suppose...

No, I see in the manual the dialogue with this photo says 'jack up the vertical link to relieve the damper of load' so thats why its not sitting on the bump stop👍

6 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I wonder if a PO has overtightened the trunnion bolt beyond the correct torque (55-60lbs/ft) and so the steel spacers and nylon bushes are being 'pinched' by the wishbone arms??🤔

It shouldnt be possible to do that because the bolt has nothing to do with either the bushes or wishbone. I suppose it could be done up so tight it crushed the sleeves but even then I cant see the plastic top hats would resist enough to cause seizure....

image.png.cabe584177d7d6edfd49caaa75953dd6.png

Looks like I’ve opened up a bigger can of worms than I expected. There seems to be a lot more influences on the suspension operation than I originally thought. Its hard to find a good garage that works on older cars but before much longer I need to find someone to look at an oil seal leak on my axle so maybe I could get some hands on advice then. As an electrician, I understand how difficult it is to diagnose a fault without seeing it so I do appreciate how much you have been trying to help. Thanks. Alan.

• Like 1