Herald Indicators/side lights - How should they work?

Valherald

Hi all

Unfortunately, time hasn't allowed me to get to any events where I would have been able to check this out so any advise would be appreciated.

Can anybody advise on how the indicators & side lights interact/work on 1965 Herald? I've not got to the

electrics yet (big project) but plan to have a good look this week and had noticed previously that the side lights come on and if the indicator is applied, the rear indicators flash and the front sides change from static to flashing. I'm OK with electrics so really just need an understanding of how they should work (as I'm guessing his isnt correct) if anybody could advise that would be great.

Many thanks

Gary

You need to check and clean all earth points:

The power for the indicators is going through the indicator bulb, finding it's way towards earth, not finding the true earth, but finding the earth connector for the sidelights (which also has no true earth).  Therefore, if runs (backwards) via the earth connection through the sidelights, trying to find an earth.

It's a common problem, and it you are going to start on electrics, checking, cleaning and 'improving' ALL earth connections is a good place to start.  Some units have no actual earth return (black) wire, but are earthed via the mounting  screws, etc.

C.

• Like 1

Tanks guys

Its the smaller flat lens Juppy (pic attached) single bulb I think?

Thanks Casper, having some experience I had suspected earthing so I appreciate the confirmation and explanation, I'm guessing its a single bulb double filament arrangement?

I will get involved over the weekend but had a quick look to find I have one loom to the front side/indicator, Green and Red wires so am guessing they are earthing through the screws as you have indicated Casper, that I think, will be my problem, plenty of the rust stuff down there.

Many thanks both

Regards

Garypost-1692-0-83950400-1462477165_thumb.jpg

Tanks guys

Its the smaller flat lens Juppy (pic attached) single bulb I think?

Thanks Casper, having some experience I had suspected earthing so I appreciate the confirmation and explanation, I'm guessing its a single bulb double filament arrangement?

Correct; dual filament bulb (1157, at least in the US).

they are earthing through the screws as you have indicated Casper, that I think, will be my problem, plenty of the rust stuff down there.

depending on your plans for the future you could consider (I probably wouldn't) fitting a dedicated earth wire.

C.

• Like 1

Even with cleaned-up threads and screw-hole area, these are never a great earth connection, and can lead to all sorts of interesting combinations! I followed Casper's idea and made up two short earth leads with a ring connector at each end leading from the lamp housing stud to a self-tapper and washer on the two short channel section stiffeners nearby. A good dab of Waxoyl on everything once it is all nipped up will prevent further corrosion.

Regards

Steve-C

• Like 1

Thanks Casper and thanks Steve, I am going to take a good look tomorrow but looking at the condition I am thinking of a coupe of fly leads as well and as I now know you have had some success with that, I can proceed with confidence if required

All the best

Gary

depending on your plans for the future you could consider (I probably wouldn't) fitting a dedicated earth wire.

C.

Even with cleaned-up threads and screw-hole area, these are never a great earth connection, and can lead to all sorts of interesting combinations! I followed Casper's idea and made up two short earth leads with a ring connector at each end leading from the lamp housing stud to a self-tapper and washer on the two short channel section stiffeners nearby. A good dab of Waxoyl on everything once it is all nipped up will prevent further corrosion.

Regards

Steve-C

Just been clarifying my thoughts on this (as the question will arise again):

As the twin filament bulb has a common cap, the issue may just be that the 'connection' of the bulb to the light unit is inadequate, rather than the 'connection' of the light unit to the body.  Good clean (I use wheel cleaner for a lot of this type of cleanup) and protect from further corrosion with a good smear of vaseline.  I advise you try this first, as, if successful, it would provide a quick fix.

The power feed for the indicators is going through the indicator filament of the twin filament bulb, reaching the bulb cap and seeking earth .  Due to a poor earth, at either (1) the connection of the bulb to the light unit, or (2) the connection of the light unit to the body, the power then flows through the sidelight filament of the bulb, up the sidelight wiring, across to the other sidelight, through the filament and seeks to find an earth connection here.  Thus, in the commonest manifestation of this fault,  the pulsed indicator current also lights both the front sidelights and perhaps also at the rear.  If there is no good earth at the other paired sidelight the power will flow to the other end of the car, seeking a decent earth.  At the rear, the sidelights bulbs are separated from the indicator bulb, but the light unit is common.

The actual combination of effects when this occurs can vary, but the solution is the same:

1.  Ensure all bulbs have a good connection to the light unit.  Clean the bulb holder (I use wheel cleaner for a lot of this type of cleanup) and protect from further corrosion with a good smear of vaseline.

2.  The fixing screws for the light unit act as an earth.  Check, clean and protect (Waxoyl)  the earth connection created by this mounting.  It may be advisable to add an earth 'tail' from the light unit to a suitable (existing or new) earth connection to the body.  Similar treatment should apply to all light fittings.

C.