Accuspark electronic ignition Dolomite Sprint

Peter Truman

For my sins I added a Dolly Sprint to my stable joining the Mk2 Spit & Mk2 Vitesse. My daughter had a Dolly Sprint 20 years ago, mine is one of 70 modified cars sold here in Australia by Leyland equipped with a LSD as standard equipment, it doesn't half bite when you get one side off road in the gravel!

I've fitted the Power Spark electronic ignition to both the existing cars easily & successfully, but the Sprint is more difficult as it requires a different Rotar & Distributor Cap to the original. It uses their Power Spark standard electronic pickup module so as I see it the Dist Cap needs more internal height to accommodate this and the Rotar.

I also brought a new set of HT leads from a separate supplier with the special extended plug ends for the Sprint, very nice and professionally made.

I decided to trial fit the Dist Cap at the weekend all was OK but being higher than the original the dist cap fouls the inlet manifold rear stud so it won't seat fully or lock down onto the dist base on the manifold side or that spring clip won't lock down.

Now the rear stud projects by around 5/8in beyond the nut so I could cut it shorter using a Dremmel, but I'm reluctant to do this unless absolutely necessary.

I've found the Power Spark units good value for money and besides retiming the engine as the pick up is located slightly different to the standard points their easy to fit & work great, but the Dolly has proved difficult all the way, I brought the standard D59 Ignition kit (included 12v coil) only to find out subsequently it needed the 44D4 different Dist Cap, which wasn't included. After some negotiation Power Spark came to the party with their alternative Distributor Cap, and HT lead ends part of the kit.

Does anyone have experience with installing the Power Spark alternative Dist Cap used in a Sprint, did it foul the inlet manifold rear stud & did they cut it shorter to get the cap to seat properly & are their any other issues to look out for.

Regards

Peter Truman