Overdrive Unresponsive

Henry Boler

Hi All,

you may have seen my other thread pointing out that the car is drivable again! If not, well it hasn't been for a while because of gearbox issues, now it's fixed, ish...

The overdrive wont do anything at all...

I have got the car up on stands so I can run the gearbox whilst playing about with stuff. At first the solenoid levers return spring and shaft wouldn't return properly but I took the plug out and freed that up so it all appears fine now.

I had to rebuild the overdrive to clean out all the crud from the gearbox failure a month or so ago.

Is there anything obvious I can do without taking the overdrive out the car again?

Cheers,

Henry

Did you refit the woodruff key in the pump drive cam wont be the first time its got left out

remind me this is a D type ???

check there is power at the solenoid and the solenoid pulls the operating lever

so the hole in the lever aligns with the hole location in the case

take out the spool valve cap on the top, theres a needle ball and spring inside

the spool valve/needle has a small hole downs its centre ,, is it blocked

when driving oil should pump out of this valve bore

the solenoid has a switch in its end to switch from a 10amp pull on to a 0.5 amp hold in current.

can you check this out.

Pete

pete

Hi Pete,

It's a D Type.

I'm pretty sure I put the key in as I had to fettle it a bit and also the cam was rigid.

Regarding the spool valve cap, I've had the whole thing out, the hole down the valve wasn't blocked, but with the cap off there was no oil movement at all...

Solenoid is fine, I've been operating the lever by hand to see if it was a position issue but the box doesn't respond to any position.

I guess it's a pump issue then... Is there a way I can get to the pump from underneath to see if it is running? I have a spare overdrive so I'll have a quick look at that too.

Henry

you can withdraw the pump body but it locked in place by a screwed bolt thats in the joint face so you have to pull the OD to get at this retainer , 

you need to make up a drag to pull the pump body out the case 

there is a bigger pump available , but its whats gone wrong with what you have before you attempt removal or anything else 

the pump is just a piston plunger and some valves thats stroked off the mainshaft cam 

it sounds like the pump is not being  stroked 

Pete

I just completely dismantled my spare overdrive and cleaned it all up. It's in very good condition, so may well end up on the car eventually.

From under the car it looks like I should be able to test whether the pump is going or not as you can see the piston moving with the plug out. I might just take the overdrive off anyway and find out what is going on.

Nothing is ever easy is it!?

Henry

• 1 month later...