Greasing the windscreen wiper cable...

Nortonius

My windscreen wipers work fine but they're a bit noisy. I've taken the cover off the motor and greased per the manuals, from which I got the great tip about marking up for the wiper parking position – I'm sure I'd have messed that up if I hadn't bothered to RTFM... Apart from that I've squirted some GT85 into the wiper fittings in an act of wishful thinking. My question is, am I right in thinking that the manuals suggest you can just pull out the inner cable that drives the wipers for greasing, and expect it to just go back in again and have everything working? Thing is I'm very reluctant to strip out the dash for this... TIA

to remove the rack its safer to remove the arms first,  take the tin cover off the gear box and flip the sprag clip off the gear spigot

you can pull the entire length of rack out of the tubes ,  if you stick a card needle on the wiper spline you will see its last position

turn  so now turn it 180deg so when you  refit the rack its running on an unused part of the wiper wheel box gear , you can also turn the rack over 180 to use an unworn part of the rack  , just grease with normal grease  or something heavier ...no wd40 or wishy washy stuff.

make sure all the tube clamps are tight and the rack nut to the motor gearbox these are always loose .

run the motor to get the park and refit the arms .  retest on a wet screen

Pete 

Yep, all done now as you described – I'm extremely grateful for the advice, it turns out to be the easiest job once you have some confidence in how to do it! Just as I buttoned it all up again it started raining, so I didn't even need to use washer juice to wet the screen! It was meant to be... Cheers!

That sounds like a good tip – any idea where the similar thread can be found? I do search forums before posting questions, as I know it can be annoying when people post the same questions time and again, but either the search function here is less than brilliant or I'm doing the internet wrong... Cheers.

you can get a whole range of arms and spindle fittings everything from a Austin 7 to  a Roller here

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/m/help_and_instructions/wiper%20fittings-2.jpg

and search around for 7mm blades of the length you want and blades to suit, IE you can get adjustable length arms and make them shorter than present but add a longer blade to increase the height and wipe area  its a real mix and match if you want to.

they do straight and cranked arms, you need a 14.8 mm spline   7mm wide  bayonet ends ,  

have fun 

Pete