Converting ashtray into Smart-phone dock....

TomL

Hi,

Someone must have done this - converting their redundant dash-top ashtray into a dock for their phone so that it can be connected for charging and audio.

I am about to embark on this and I would be interested to hear any tips from anyone who's done similar.

I have got as far as obtaining a desktop-dock with a view to gluing it into the base of the ashtray and providing a permanent connection to the car's sound system.  Take the phone out and close the lid and no-one's the wiser.  That is pretty much the project done but it would be good to know if anyone has any ideas/pitfalls to share.

Tom

• Like 1

No pitfalls that I'm aware of; I bought a range of NOS gauges a few years ago that are shaped to fit into the ashtray aperture although this is with the ashtray removed - I presume you're intending to fit the dock onto the base inside the ashtray? Make sure the spring on the lid isn't too strong and may damage any phone or iPod it rubs against whilst driving. I've placed my phone in the GT6 ashtray when driving - it doesn't fall under the seat as it usually does if set on it. There's plenty of room under the ashtray for wiring.

(Incidentally I bought a set of THREE gauges before realising that although it may be a good idea to have one in the ashtray aperture, as I don't smoke, there's no room for the other two as each one takes up the entire space, plus the 1200 doesn't have a dash top ashtray, only the 13/60.....)

• Like 1

Thanks Colin.  I was going to line the ashtray with some dense packaging foam and try to create a sort of cradle to prevent the phone from dislodging and breaking contact.  This is the bugbear of the current set-up... you go over a bump, connection is lost and music stops. 

Regarding your car, I didn't that there were guages available that fit the ashtray slot; they must be small?

Tom

Tom

I've been toying with this idea too, though haven't done anything about it yet. I'm an iPhone user

My thoughts run along the lines of epoxying a lightning plug through the base of the ashtray to provide charging and fitting some foam inside to stop it rattling about. Simple to replace if you get a different shape phone in future.

For audio I was looking at this, discreetly mounted under the dash somewhere you can easily reach the knob for volume

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGIANT-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Motorcycle-Smartphone/dp/B01K4LLGIE/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487771426&sr=1-11&keywords=bluetooth+car+amplifier

wired up to a couple of cheap speakers somewhere.  

I like the idea of Bluetooth connectivity 

Just thinking aloud..

• Like 2

I didn't that there were guages available that fit the ashtray slot; they must be small?

Tom

They're called Smiths Topdash Instruments and there are a range of them; they just drop into the ashtray aperture. I have three - temp, ammeter and oil pressure. They come up on eBay quite often.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Top-Dash-temperature-gauge/401270504415?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41397%26meid%3Dec0016cf50284abd8e0180276aff5d78%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D132040847848

• Like 1

Hi efp and Colin,

Thank you for your responses.

efp: The amp looks good but for my application, I have a Kenwood head-unit that will provide the amp.  I don't wish to use bluetooth for music (though will use it for phonecalls).

Colin: Thanks for the link.  These dash-top instruments are amazing.  So '60s!  I have owned the Vitesse for over 30 year and I have to confess I've never come across these instruments - neither fitted to cars nor at the countless auto jumbles I've been to.  Just goes to prove; you learn something new every day.

Tom

Hi Tom

Yeah, have reservations about the Bluetooth too, the sound might be crap out of such a cheap unit, but I see it can be hard wired too, and leaves options open for different phones, even the passenger's, minimises wiring, is unobtrusive and less likely to be nicked and most of all, dirt cheap.

I like cheap

I take it your Kenwood head unit has a usb input to take the audio signal out of the connector?

• Like 1

Hi efp,

I think hard-wired is the better option.

Yes, the Kenwood has a usb input for audio.  With the finished set-up it will both charge the phone and allow audio connection.  Whilst it'll be wired in, there won't be any trailing wires.  Just need to get some dense packaging foam to make the cradle.

Tom