Vitesse Mk2 CV - Soft Top Frame Adjustment

Hello,

Slightly different body topic for a change and one that does not come up that often.

Since owning my Vitesse for the last 10x years, the soft top frame does not position correctly. Most of the time the hood is folded away and not an issue - but there is an issue and I've decided to tackle it over the winter.

Basically, with the assistance of the attached photos, you can see that the driver door glass does not fit / rest against the rubber seal of the B post. The correct door glass is fitted but the frame B post is too far back or should I say the angle is too acute. The upshot is that there is a gap and this needs addressing.

The ST WSM provides a page (also attached) of adjustment advice and I am hoping that this will assist to sort the issue. In addition there is also info about adding a filler piece should the gap still prove problematic.

The hood material is mohair and in decent condition. However a PO must have stored the hood away wet and the inevitable shrinkage has occurred on the side panels. This could be remedied by adding an extra piece of material but I have decided to replace the hood with a bespoke item, rather than one of the shelf as these often have similar fitting issues and that's before they get wet !!

Before that stage, the frame must fit correctly - forming a proper seal on the B post rubber. It is pointless fitting a new hood with a wonky frame.

With regard to the frame adjustment, I will be interested and grateful to know if anyone has tackled realigning such frames.

The intention is to remove the frame fully to start with and then refit to ensure it is square before adjustments are carried out along with any repair work that might be required.  

Thank you in advance.

Richard. 

DSC00361.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00364.JPG

DSC00365.JPG

DSC00367.JPG

Frame Adjustment Guide.jpg

Frame Schematic.jpg

Hello,

I have a feeling I will be pioneering this and reporting back in due course - as I said earlier, not a subject that has been flagged on a regular basis as far as I can ascertain.

It will be good to have something documented for the benefit of others and I will update as & when I do the job this winter.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard, when I had my vitesse it was a matter of continuous adjustment until I was happy. 

I expect there are some well practiced experts out there (or not?) who have a feel for what is needed. But I have seen many many horrendously fitted hoods/frames, and it is complicated by the fact once the hood is fitted it pulls the screen frame back a bit. I have also seen ingenious bodges to fill gaps, from bits of wood under the aluminium seal retaining channels to sheet steel cut to fill the gaps.... in that case over an inch.

Possibly the most important thing on the frame, apart from all fixings/pivots being present, is the corners of the header rail where it needs to move, the cause of many a fractured corner section. I have welded up a few. 2 where I was asked if I could do it without disturbing the hood itself!