VITESSE Mk2 - Front Valance - Work Required !!

Hello,

The front valance on many classics is an often overlooked item - certainly the case with the Herald / Vitesse unit.

My Vitesse valance is no exception as can be seen from the photos, especially where the inner securing brackets connect at each end - a favourite rust spot. I've probably caught it in time, in order to bring it back to a decent panel.

First stage is to drop it in at the shot blaster, which is this morning, to clean the valance of paint and anything else that can be shifted; that should then supply a sound base to start the remedial work.

The valance, as all will know, is a flimsy item once removed from the car - in order to protect it from twisting damage I have bolted in a brace across each of the over-rider gaps and this really does make the panel rigid.  

Will update on return of the panel next week.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00379.JPG

DSC00380.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00382.JPG

DSC00389 (2).JPG

Hello Clive,

Many thanks and more than happy to help you launch your new Mig !!

I will have a good idea as to what is required, when the valance returns.

All the best.

Richard.

Hello,

Now have the valance back from the blaster and pretty much as expected - in fact not as bad as I thought it might be. A couple of additional bits of metal feather, but it is the bracket ends which require the lions share of the work. 

Cost wise, £25 which I thought decent bearing in mind how long it would take to achieve this finish manually.

It is currently in its natural state with no primer or anti rust spray, as I wanted to see exactly what is ahead of me regarding refurbishment.

Photos attached and will update once I've decided / progressed to the next stage.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00394.JPG

DSC00395.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

DSC00397.JPG

DSC00398.JPG

DSC00399.JPG

DSC00401.JPG

DSC00402.JPG

Hello Clive,

Yes will treat it tomorrow, wanted to get the photos done.

I think grind the old brackets off and make new ones, then refit after that part [each end] of the valance has been made good.

Regards.

Richard.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Progress made and have now cut & shaped the replacement end sections using 1mm sheet steel and not 1.5mm as previously mentioned. 

It was not quite as tricky as I was expecting and I used the circular shape of an axle stand support to form the appropriate curve. Think it's 95% there with just a bit more fettling and shaping required, but the good news is that the new sections fit the valance cut edges and match the contour - which is very useful !!

Now with Clive to launch his new welder.

I have not cut further repair sections out of the valance yet, as I want to keep as much strength in the panel as possible. Once the end sections are secure the far easier straight sections can then be cut and replaced.

Will keep you posted.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00443.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

The valance refurb has progressed and these photos were taken just before Xmas.

Further work has been carried out since these photos. The contour of the valance has now taken on a more defined shape since the end sections have been welded in to place.

Next stage is further shaping on the curves, weld the end brackets to the valance along with some angled strengthening sections.

The next set of photos, in due course, will show the above jobs progressed somewhat.

Have to say that Clive has helped immensely and enormous thanks to him to date.

Regards.

Richard. 

DSC00482.JPG

DSC00483.JPG

DSC00488.JPG