The Last Vitesse manufactured

Gary Flinn

I've been having discussions regarding the Last Vitesse Converible ever made on Leon's Triumph Vitesse International Facebook page and the supposed build date.

I had always thought that the last one made was a convertible with the Commission Number HC58109CV and that it was manufactured on the 14th of May 1971 (Courtesy of Graham Robson's Herald/Vitesse book), however Wikipedia among others states July 1971 as the date?

So I thought I would E-Mail the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust archive department at Gaydon.

I was lucky enough to get a reply back from a John Bacchus stating the build date listed in the Archive is the 5th of May 1971 for this particular car.

This last Vitesse was still around a couple of years ago as I saw it at one of the TSSC events, it could have been Santa Pod 

Does anyone know the owner of this Signal Red car?

Gary   

• Like 1

I wonder if the Last Vitesse will be as loose a term as "The Last Spitfire"?

As I've told before, I've seen for myself at least two Spitfires with that written on the back of the door card, signed by members of the Trim Shop staff at Canley.  One was LHD and in France, one in  the UK, if they labelled the last for the USA, I've no idea.   I interviewed one of the signees, but at this distance in time, he could not remember.    And, the last Spitfire off the assembly liene was not the car kept at Gaydon wioth the highest VIN.    The last was photographed, by a line manager.   I've seen it and the car was LHD!

Jon

• Thanks 1

I suppose you could be right John, the commission number I quoted is the last one, it doesn't mean to say it was the last car down the Production line that got this number? All fascinating stuff, I wonder if anyone wrote on the last Vitesse anywhere🤔