Changing antifreeze Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hi just changing the antifreeze in my Vitesse mk2 and a few observations which might make the job easier for you.
Remove the air filter box and the overflow bottle to assist access. 
The bottom hose was a pig as with the circlips removed the hose wouldnt  budge  so removed the top section off first  which is easier , so make sure you have the necessary tray in place to collect the water . Pour boiling water over the base of the hose and twist the hose and it came off easily 
The engine tap is under the rear carb and difficult to access . The valve can be undone by hand but very likely not much water will come out . So it’s necessary in my case to remove the brass plug . It’s 3/4 in AF and wouldn’t shift by using a spanner , this the setup I used 

E54C8163-184F-41EF-BA65-FE554F2DA23E.thumb.jpeg.5a8f776289c9ca55432cbe2d0721f9b6.jpeg

071EFE75-3A79-49EF-B1E2-F8EB1D316D1F.thumb.jpeg.2879914d70b4dc1686ebd5da8178160f.jpeg

D63DD0E1-8AA3-4B0A-A782-F656B1009C37.thumb.jpeg.8f05c36540082f13f05486972ec6cc71.jpeg

note the brass plug doesn’t have the copper washer, this is either missing or in the water collection tray 

With the plug removed water should start to flow albeit in my case slowly . To free up the flow I used a screwdriver , see pic and the screwdriver went into the hilt so approx 10 cms . Water flow followed , lastly undid the tap at the base of the radiator . Plan is now to chemical flush and refill at 50% antifreeze and distilled water . Hopefully this will keep the system cooler when caught in standing traffic

Paul 

CA7AF341-ECAE-4021-9912-FC592A24C3AA.thumb.jpeg.bab1d859b9b5a9c37ce7c930311d0e2f.jpeg

Hello Paul,

Nicely presented and well done for tackling the engine block drain, it is something many ignore.

Regarding the hoses, I always smear some grease on the inside before fitting - never an issue to remove afterwards, no matter the time lapse.

Jubilee clips are best instead of those circlip things (oddly still used in modern cars) or if you are feeling flush (excuse the pun) you could go for Mikalor hose clamps. Probably a bit OTT, but certainly the way to go for clamping exhaust sections.

Regards.

Richard. 

2 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

Nicely presented and well done for tackling the engine block drain, it is something many ignore.

Regarding the hoses, I always smear some grease on the inside before fitting - never an issue to remove afterwards, no matter the time lapse.

Jubilee clips are best instead of those circlip things (oddly still used in modern cars) or if you are feeling flush (excuse the pun) you could go for Mikalor hose clamps. Probably a bit OTT, but certainly the way to go for clamping exhaust sections.

Regards.

Richard. 

Thanks for grease tip 

Paul