Handbrake ratchet

Steve C

I have just slammed the garage door after spending three frustrating hours and sworn the air blue.

My Herald's handbrake lever had always had lateral movement, due to the bracket itself having been "shipyard welded" by the previous owner's local MOT welder back in the 1970s. The ciclip on the pivot pin tended to ping off, leaving the lever moving about sufficiently to jump the ratchet, so I replaced the pin with a suitable sized bolt and a nylon jam nut, which cured that one. The lateral movement has gone, and the lever pivots freely.

Now the ratchet pawl has decided to jam on. I can release it with a thin screwdriver, but pushing the button seems to generate very little motion at the pawl. The actuator rod with the hooked end is straight an dun damaged, although the spring does seem weak and tired. I have had the thing apart and back together again several times, and am now put of ideas. Could it be a worn pawl, the tired spring, or something I am missing?

Regards

Steve C

tired spring seems the simple option, although the spring holds it in  , not out 

the replacement bolt is a good move that weedy circlip groove has seen a few pins start to drop out .

daft but you have got the ratchet plate on the right way , dont think it can be upside down but  jst a thought !!

make sure the grip is not restricting the button pressability 

is the pawl pivot clevis 'free'

Pete

Thanks Pete for the suggestions - helpful as always. Once I got the lever off and on to the bench, I could get the hooked rod over the curved end of the pawl correctly and see what It was doing under a strong light. I then secured it temporarily with one of those twist ties you get with computer cables, just to stop the ratchet end of the pawl from falling back in and making the whole thing ping apart again. It might work, but it is certainly a cheap and cheerful bit of production engineering designed down to a price, and is one of those jobs where three hands would be useful!

Regards

Steve