Spitfire 1500 windscreen

hardhatharry

Hardhatharry,

This has been well covered by a previous topic:

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/7101-windscreen-seal-spit-1500/

I have had many issues trying to get a good seal, so see my two entries in the above topic pages. COH Baines seal was excellent, proper vulcanised join and they mould it into a frame for a few days to shape properly. As far as the absolute rubbish screen seals that everyone seems to sell, I gave up with it, left it off like just about everyone does. You will pay a stupidly expensive price for a bit of cheap silvery plastic coated insert trim that does even look like it will follow the curvatures. I had mine fitted by two guys that do the Stag windscreens for Faversham Classics. They struggled for ages but eventually got it done. But the plastic insert does not lie down that flush and in the corners it lifts off a bit. I took the insert out as it just didn't look right. Nobody much seems to notice there is no trim on mine, or a lot of Spits, looks fine without it.

Some people have managed a miracle by finding an original good condition screen insert, that is the only way to get a proper fitment I believe.

Jon Low.

My 68 Vitesse has a replacement solid Stainless steel insert in two halves clockwise from 12 to 6, and anti clockwise the same I got it out of a scrapped early Herald in a scrapes outside Staithes near Whitby around 1970.

It took time and patience to fit and it’s still in place today a lot better looking than that plastic stuff which we fitted to the daughters Mk2 Spit that was a bugger!