Vitesse mk2 rear shock open and closed lengths

Mark B

Hi all. 

My mk2 Vitesse is running sliding spline drive shafts. I originally had a flatter 3 leaf spring made up with assisted coil over shocks. The  car sat low and firm as I wanted and handled very well.

In the intervening years local council fitted every imaginable type of speed hump and obstacles designed to knock your exhaust off to all the local roads. It became a pain,  so shortly after putting the car back on the road I reverted back to standard leaf spring, retaining the chassis extensions and fitted some ex Spitfire Spax shocks I had stored away.

With me and a passenger in the car all's well. Briefly had another couple off passengers in the back and felt the shocks bottoming out.

I could attach the shocks directly to the chassis and do away with the chassis extensions, not sure if this would give me any more travel.  I no longer have doughnuts to avoid, but prefer the more vertical shock angle using the chassis extensions.

Does anyone know the open and closed lengths of shocks used on c.v shafts either using the chassis or extension mounting points?

Thanks

Hi Mark

I know a bit about fitting Telescopic Dampers to the rear of a Mk2 Vitesse, I fitted some Koni Classic 80-1717 Model Dampers (Actually meant for the front of a 1960's Mini) to my Vitesse, using the Chassis Extensions brackets as my car was fitted with the Standard Rotoflex couplings.

It was a bit of a faff modifying the bushing at the top but they worked well and I never experienced any bottoming out of the suspension, even when 4 up.

I was told by Koni the Open and closed lengths of these damper are 296mm to 218mm

The Standard Koni Dampers listed for the Vitesse range (Excluding Mk2) are there Model number 80-1389 (which I suspect are the same for the Herald/Spitfire/GT6) these are what you can purchase off the usual suppliers, these are rated at 316mm Open and 246mm closed.

I suspect the Spax Dampers you have fitted will be a similar Open/Closed length as the Koni 80-1389.

If you fit the top of dampers to the standard Chassis mount you should be ok?

Attached is the Info on the Koni dampers, if you e-mail or Phone Spax quoting the part number, they should be able to confirm the Open/closed lengths

Regards      

Gary

80-1717.pdf 80-1389.pdf

Hi Gary

Thanks for the info.

Need to get the Spax off and have a measure. I think your probably right that they will be the off the shelf spec as were originally bought years ago for my mk3 Spit.

May attach the top mount to the chassis and have a measure. Like the idea of fitting koni though.

Thanks

Mark

3 minutes ago, Mark B said:

Hi Gary

Thanks for the info.

Need to get the Spax off and have a measure. I think your probably right that they will be the off the shelf spec as were originally bought years ago for my mk3 Spit.

May attach the top mount to the chassis and have a measure. Like the idea of fitting koni though.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

If you want the info on what modifications are involved in fitting the Koni 80-1717 dampers and the best place to buy them, send me a private message to confirm your E-Mail address and I will send you all the details?

Regards  

Gary