First outing this year

Earlier than I had planned but with a good weather forecast I thought it time to take my Spitfire out of hibernation.

In another thread, I’ve changed the heater value, thanks for the advice, so was keen to see if I had cabin heat for the first time.

After an oil and filter change plus several ticks from the annual service checklist, I pressed the solenoid to get some oil circulating.

Turning on the ignition, it took a short while to get fuel to the carbs and think about firing. One cylinder woke up, then stalled. Two cylinders…..almost. Next turn of the key and three cylinders were alive and kicking and she ran. A few seconds later the forth cylinder joined the party and she sounded sweet.

Had a really nice drive in unseasonably warm sunshine. Perfect. Had a prearranged meet up with a pal for a coffee. He drove there in his Elan. I’m always amazed by people in a car park wanting to chat and share their experiences of owning similar cars in their youth.

Good start to the season, my little car puts a huge smile on my face.

• Like 1

Good stuff! I did the same last week and took the car out twice. First run was fine (that was after it being sat for two and a half months) and the second one started fine and then the Facet fuel pump gave up so I was stranded for a few hours. 

But I too am amazed how friendly and willing people are to share experiences. While I was sat waiting for the AA four or five people started chatting about how they, their other half, etc had a triumph, MG, Rover, etc and the memories it brought back to them. They wished me well and carried on! 

I was recovered 8 hours later 😐

6 hours ago, Jezza said:

Good stuff! I did the same last week and took the car out twice. First run was fine (that was after it being sat for two and a half months) and the second one started fine and then the Facet fuel pump gave up so I was stranded for a few hours. 

But I too am amazed how friendly and willing people are to share experiences. While I was sat waiting for the AA four or five people started chatting about how they, their other half, etc had a triumph, MG, Rover, etc and the memories it brought back to them. They wished me well and carried on! 

I was recovered 8 hours later 😐

Sorry to read about your second run.  Hope you gave it a good talking to when it was back home.  Nice picture of your car, by the way.

Confining myself to 'Circular' drives at present. Setting off 'Uphill' so that I can roll back home. (Fuel Pump, Dizzy and condenser, previously fitted and working, in the boot). So far it has been 2, 4 and ten miles without something causing spluttering. Since sorting fuel pump, carbs, tank and pipework, no more failures. Last run was 12 miles with no hitches. Will get a pal to follow me next time and do twenty odd.

15 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Confining myself to 'Circular' drives at present. Setting off 'Uphill' so that I can roll back home. (Fuel Pump, Dizzy and condenser, previously fitted and working, in the boot). So far it has been 2, 4 and ten miles without something causing spluttering. Since sorting fuel pump, carbs, tank and pipework, no more failures. Last run was 12 miles with no hitches. Will get a pal to follow me next time and do twenty odd.

Seems very wise. My first outing after buying the car ended at the curb side. Not entirely unexpected and, fortunately, I’d asked my wife to follow me with a boot full of tools and a tow rope. It cost me a new petrol tank.