Vitesse Mk2 Bonnet Chrome Trim

Freyasgrandad

Are there a variety of different lengths available for the chrome strips along the sides of the Vitesse bonnet?

I adjusted the corner finishers that had not been correctly re-fitted after a respray and have since noticed that the offside trim is about 15mm longer than that on the nearside even though both are fully located in the finisher. 

I haven't measured the bonnet but it appears to be the cars original unit and the wing sections seem to have had arch repair sections fitted rather than having been replaced.

I actually wonder if the trims might be handed and mine have been swapped over in error.

Any ideas?

I should add that the corner finishers are correctly seated on the bonnet now and the bonnet has no evidence of ever being damaged.

13/60 and vitesse are now shown as same trim  part  number, whilst there seems some difference early on

the drop panels can be different but thats below the strip line and doesnt change the bonnet lengths , a wheel arch repair shouldnt affect the overall length

either 

pete

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got round to measure things up last weekend.

Turns out that the chrome strips are both the same length and both bonnet side panels are also equal so the problem would seem to be the off side corner trim which although appearing to be correctly located on the bonnet is actually too far out and back by about 1cm.

Next task will be to figure out why/how this has come about and how to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved!

Turns out it was the front trim strip at fault in that it was 15mm too long between bend and corner finisher on the offside. Presumably an after market replacement fitted during the rebuild.

Cordless grinder to the rescue and along with new clips all round everything fits pretty much as it should again.

Thanks for the advice Pete, my finishers are retained by small screws at the minute but I'll rivet or bond them on after the respray next spring.