Moss London

Neil Clark

It's nice when you meet and speak to problem solvers.  I could not get the overriders to fit on my Spitfire 4 Mk1 using the bolt specified in the (usually excellent) Moss parts book, and since the overriders I have had been badly distorted internally anyway was frustrated.  I called at Moss who are near me to see Will Chilvers.  I've known Will for a couple of years and he and his Dad (also based at Moss London) really do know their Triumphs, pretty much all models.  So Will got out an overrider, compared it with my old one and immediately saw that the 1" bolt listed was completely wrong, far too short  and not only that, the thread on the bolt was wrong for the overrider.  Puzzling, and I had begun to think I had had the bonnet hinges welded incorrectly.  But tucked away it turned out that they have a whole range of very early old parts books, so after a fairly long hunt through the pages he found the correct reference and though they don't sell the exact same bolt any more identified a substitute which they did have.  I left reassured and Will was off to write up a correction for their parts book compliers.

Hi Neil,

I then entered the shop (last Friday morning), as you left, and Will was running around trying to find somebody to edit the parts book before the next edition.

They were concerned they had just missed the 'stop press' date.

Roger