Club Hazard Warning Switch (for my 1970 1147cc Herald Saloon)

Colin

Apology up-front:- am not a fan of scrolling through previous posts! 🙄

I have read and re-read the 'instructions' which came with this Hazard Warning switch unit.

I am capable of following directions, if given clearly. I have asked the Club if they have anyone who can give some pictorial instructions as an alternative to the thin, written sheet, especially for those not electrically minded (ME! Ironically and frustratingly, my Dad was an ace electrician!)

I am none the wiser as to how to and where to connect the wiring which I'd like to get working as opposed to looking at it on the bench!

I think I can use a spare connector on the starter solenoid for a 'live feed', but as for the rest of it - PLUS & BUT:- that connector would require my running a new wire across the car, the solenoid being n/s and I wish to place the unit driver's side.

I can imagine many Club members have undertaken this useful addition (and probably done this in any number of manners) - so:- can anyone walk me through it for my Herald? Other than having an Alternator fitted, the car's wiring is about as original as it gets.

Cheers, m'Dears.

C.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul H.

Apologies for tardy reply.

I completed the task this week with the remote help and advice from my Bro' who understands such things, many photos being exchanged etc.!

I was rather querulous that the fuse fitted was a 250V 30 amp. I blew it, as it happens but have replaced with a Halfords 25 Amp (but presumably NOT 250V rated). The difference is that the flashing is speedier, which I actually think is better - thought it quite slow with its original fuse.

Of course, I had to make up various cables to run across the internal bulkhead routed through the main loom on the passenger side, through the same grommet to meet the permanent starter solonoid live feed switch wire and to the flasher unit etc.. Thus making the claim that it was possible just to plug into the existing wiring loom a bit of a falsehood. Especially as I required two double bullet connectors - one for each of the right and left side indicators and there was only one in the kit.

The only thing different from the given instructions was the ignition to flasher feed was a double white pair, not green as mooted. 

I sited it to the driver's side of the radio console. I used the steering column upper clamp for the earth cable.

Thanks for your contribution!

Best,

Colin