Main, Dip, side & flash switch. Vitesse Mk2

Phil C

Afternoon All

Currently working my way through fitting a new harness as part f the Vitesse restoration and couldn't get the main beam flash to work.

Further investigation identified a switch malfunction.

The plastic terminal block within the switch is not fixed within the metal part and therefore when the stalk is pulled back to activate the flash it rotates within its seating and the flash terminals fail to close. Very hard to describe so see video below.

Do I need to replace it or am I missing something? 

Thanks in advance.

3CD04B80-8053-4206-8A44-315763F4AEC5.thumb.jpeg.aa2319d5c30e4b8980dbf5690b25de87.jpeg

6E8F3ACD-4109-4935-A598-A776CAB68D0B.thumb.jpeg.07589381a845725408e49421dc6c7756.jpeg

Is the white plastic block suppose to snap into the metal case? It looks as if that is the design from that small cut out in the front that can be seen in your photos but maybe the step has worn so no longer hooks in properly.... If so a repair doesnt look easy but would be worth doing as the quality of a replacement might not be very good. It looks to be alloy so perhaps a small hole could be drilled in the top of the metal case and a short self tapper used with a small bracket to hold the plastic down? Have to check it doesnt interfere with abnything else in the housing of course.

6 minutes ago, johny said:

Is the white plastic block suppose to snap into the metal case?

Thanks Jonny, yes I think that is how it is intended to work. The spring is located at the back end which is pulling against it causing it to lift.

The bracket idea is worth a look but there is not much room to work with. I'll see what I can do.

I agree the quality of replacements is always an issue 😡