Underbody Rust Protection

s99sdp

On 02/09/2022 at 19:04, daverclasper said:

Hi Jon. Keep up the the good work. I'm interested, as I understand the underside only has quite weathered, though definitely non terminal/serious, surface rust.

Surprised rot hasn't got into the nooks and crannies, where damp/wet mud can sit for ages, if underside isn't regular scraped/cleaned?

Thanks, I will post some updates as things progress.

The original owner (I am the 2nd owner) worked for AEC in Southall and maybe learned a few things about how to preserve a vehicle. He stuffed every crevice and plugged every hole with an oily rag so they stayed clean and didn't rot. He also poured old engine oil into the chassis and liberally painted the underside with it. There are still quite a few areas where the original brown underbody paint (with a little body colour overspray) still exists, but it is so thin that its little wonder these cars rotted.

IMG_0763.jpeg

Underside Good Work in Progress2.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Just read this thread and a couple of others as thinking of applying something to the underside of my Spitfire. I sprayed Dynax S50 into all the cavities and wondered if anyone has experience of using Dynax UC on underside? Or, as it seems to be advertised everywhere at the moment, Lanoguard.

I'm looking for something clear that I can put over the existing paint which is in good condition and will hopefully help keep it that way IMG_20210421_150413_743.thumb.jpg.467f0726243b106ad67aa0c6f12a4279.jpg