Looking at a TR7...

NevSpit

Getting this strange urge to buy a TR7 – is it an urge I should suppress????

Been having a trawl through t’web and Mr Google and friends seem to suggest amongst other things that build was a little ‘iffy’  in the early years and the later cars are better. Although it seems that most for sale are 80’s rather 70’s produced anyway. Thus I am currently thinking of a convertible from the last years of production and hoping the road tax free status continues rolling for a few years yet!

Therefore I would much welcome hearing from you knowledgeable people out there who may have top tips when looking at these cars and pit falls to look out for please. I’m also Interested to know if there are any parts that are particularly difficult to replace / fix if they break such as interior fittings, specific panels and therefore key to make sure are present and correct in the first place. And finally, or at least for present, how watertight are the roofs on the convertibles, I'm hoping Triumph made progress and they keep out more than my MKIV Spitfire :-)

Planning to get out and about and look at some in the New Year.

Many thanks and any help most appreciated.

the convertible roofs are a much better engineered jobby, with better gutter effects and glass sealing 

all convertibles even the folding tin roofed cars are capable of some leakage...its inevitable  

there's nothing wrong with Tr7 or 8s   parts are  well available,  they suffer the same aging process and querks of any

classic with previous lifes on a budget ...or bodgeit

there are some really nice examples around some for quite low values  ,   I contemplated one but we need 4 seats for the pensioners club to get in

hence the 2000 now

pete 

My only advice is to get a Sprint engine one, if possible.  They go so much better!

The wife had a 2.0 DHC and she loved it.  Steering can be heavy but is fixed by roller bearings and an anti-dive kit helps.

RobSport and S&S Preparations have everything you need and will offer endless good advice.  Fitchetts still have some NOS DHC body shells!

Mechanically they're fine.  Electrics are a nightmare if not working - these were amongst the first with electronics.  Rust in the front turrets and rear suspension is the killer.