Spit MK3 emission control valve problem

mikehiggins

Hello all, this is my first post so hope you will understand my non technical approach to this problem. I`ve recently bought a super Mk3 spit but am having problems getting the engine to run well, although when I first start up it runs really smooth. However, sometimes there will be a bang under the bonnet and the engine cuts out. It will be because the Emission control valve in the inlet manifold has "blown out" of its push fit seating. Put this back in and away we go again, but daren`t take the car too far yet as not confident it won`t let me down. Can anyone help please?? Mike. 

• 1 month later...

This brings back (mostly) fond memories of my first '69 Mk3 Spitfire, circa 1971. I had the same problem with the Smiths valve popping out of the intake manifold. I asked about this at my local gas station (they hated "foreign" cars or at least pretended to, but they were very good mechanics). One of them fixed the problem quickly and permanently by carefully "peening" a couple spots on the inside edge of the hole in the manifold and then pushing the valve back in securely. It never moved again, and this then-18-year-old novice mechanic learned a new term and technique! :D