carb float height

daverclasper

Seasons greetings and all that to everyone.

Vitesse Mk1 2Litre.

Just reconditioning twin Stromberg 150 CD carbs.

Setting the float height to 18mm, the other plastic float side/half on each carb is about 17mm.

Is this acceptable, or should I try and bend other side a bit to match.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

the float sits at an angle in the fuel  dont try to make it parallel. if all is ok there should be no need to bend the float arms at all.

18 at the high point is correct

just a note that some CD floats have two float arms , you can then fit the float upside down and have lots of fuel height problems

Disassembly4.jpgtheres lots of how to sites araound but www.buckeyetriumphs gives good  photos and explanations

never mind its TR related the basic stromberg rules apply to all

Cheers Pete that's great.

Very useful info and not in any manuals.

Some thing else I noticed with these carbs that were bought with no history.

Looking at the carbs from the air filter side.

The Throttle lifter cable plate (sort of double L shaped) is at the right hand of front carb, as is the throttle stop (as shown in Haynes Vitesse manual) and the rear carb throttle spindle is not threaded on the left, unlike my current carbs with the throttle lifter accommodated here and also the throttle stop on left or rear carb (and as shown in the factory manual).

Would  a longer throttle cable to the front carb to sort this be ok.

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers, Dave        

Hi Dave,

My Vitesse/GT6 Manual covers all 2litre Vitesse models and all GT6 variants. Having just rebuilt my original Strombergs on my Mk2 Vitesse I have been studiously reading the relevant pages and have arrived at the following conclusion.

There are basically three different variants of the Stromberg 150 fitted to these cars.

The 150CD these have a air valve lifter spindle as a choke on each carb linked by a central rod as per the throttle butterflies.

The 150CDS these are slightly later and have a fuel enrichment valve fitted to the front carb only with a link pipe taking extra fuel to the rear carb.

The 150CDSE these are emission control carbs, the jets are fixed and tuning is by adjusting the needles with a special tool, There is a thermal adjusting unit on each carb and an enrichment arrangement similar to that on the CDS.

No doubt there are other variants not shown in my manual as I think there will be at least two more editions after that I have and most of the major parts are common especially on the pre emission carbs

Triumph seem to have used a number of different throttle linkages during the cars production. My 1970 Mk2 has a Herald style cable acting on the rear or left side of the rear carb but apparently there were also rod linkages and a cable system to the front carb again on the rear/left of that carb and of course these all used different balance bars.

I found Turner Carbs in Stamford an invaluable source of parts and knowledge when doing mine.

Steve

Burlen fuel systems will give in the zenith section the parts for a particlular spec if you have the brass tag numbers

you can search by make and model should be able to source the correct spindle

of as you suggest move the cable pull to the front unit

bike cables are better cheaper and make to any length yuo need a solderless nipple to make and end

pete

Cheers guys.

Its a sort of cheap experiment with these carbs to see if car will run a bit better..

I've built up the worn spindles (the ones on the car are also worn) with JB weld and flatted down, now only small amount of play and made up gaskets out of gasket card.

I will use my current carb diaphragms, lifting pistons and jets/needles as car runs well  and good mileage on runs, though apart from uneven idle and maybe the plugs are a bit too sooty when driving in the city I live.

cheers, Dave