Spitfire 1500 windscreen seal fitting

Michael Watts

So I have read all the nightmares. Fitted new rubber to laminated screen with cord to pull seal in over the inside lip. All went so well getting the bottom and sides of the wi dscreen in. The top part of seal is giving me problems. I have above a 10mm gap along top edge. It is like the screen needs to move inwards by 10mm so I can use cord and pull seal edge over the metal screen frame top edge. Assume the seal only overlaps the inner frame adge by about 5-6mm ? Have trued knocking the screen lower in frame etc. 3 hours later no further progress. Any ideas??

Thanks Mike W

20230414_142512.jpg

20230414_142155.jpg

20230414_142148.jpg

Thanks for replies, photo where it shows top rubber twisted I have got bedded in. Mjit as you say it needs pushing rearward so seal reaches lip and can hook over the metal frame rim. As the moment when the rubber is pulled out it only reaches the edge of metal rim. Just needs that extra few millimeters! It will have to wait until I can have a helper again. So near !!

• 2 weeks later...

So back to knocking in the top part of windscreen. Sand in x2 freezer bags and tied inside a soft sock. Made sure I got the cord back in top length of seal and carefully checked perimeter of seal pressing seal edges in. Started at top corner used the sock to whack screen inwards. Little by little and pulling it cord as I went. Finally single handed after another hours work it is in. Video clip shows how hard I whacked screen. Thanks for advice.

in the days these types of screen rubbers always give the flips a good coat of soft soap so you lubricate the  seal and the   aperture flanges 

may find its better to fit the metal trim before fitting    as doing it after its fitted can beat the many  

its a matter of preference but getting the trim to locate in its flip can be  a swine as the book says  just insert the hook and feed the hook and trim ...just like that    Hmmm  

Pete