GT6 new steering rack issue..

Hello all,

As part of ongoing refurbishment of the running gear on my GT6, I decided to replace the steering rack. I haven't actually driven the car yet and the front end is up on axle stands, but with the front wheels fitted.

Having fitted a reconditioned steering rack a couple of weeks ago, I have just got around to actually trying the steering from lock to lock - this was with the wheels off the ground, no load on the steering. In one direction it's fine, but going from left to right, there is a really noticeable 'cogging' effect that can be heard, and felt, through the steering wheel. Attempting to turn the steering from the wheels themselves and the same is evident, and from the offside, there appears to be really appreciable play in the inner joint of the rack, inside the gaitor bellow.. This doesn't seem at all right - before I condemn the thing, is there anything I might have done wrong? I'm thinking really significant, obvious play in the rack inner ball joint thingy is probably not right and might be the cause but opinions welcome.. Thanks!

Thanks guys, the recon rack is from a reputable supplier but the issue with the ball and socket arrangement sounds like it could be the culprit.. I don't really want to be taking the gaiter off to investigate though as that might invalidate any sort of warranty. I'll go back to the supplier tomorrow I think and see what they say. I've double-checked everything else - I did replace the UJ / knuckle at the base of the steering column but that's not fouling anything, so it's looking like a faulty rack I think..

Yes think thats a good move but not sure that would explain 'cogging' effect which sounds more like the rack and pinnion. The contact between these two is adjustable and may well loosen off after a few miles plus with no load I dont think any rack will be silky smooth and noiseless, mine certainly isnt....