Race Vitesse anyone

Gary Flinn

Wow!  Or rather, Sacre Bleu!   That makes FIVE racing Vitesses in the world.   There's Kastner's Candy Box in the US, Clifford de Bono's "Beast" on Malta, possibly still one in New Zealand, and mine, SofS.

thomas2-tr6CBVitesse.jpg.7940de7ea8f47961e6f3a16d3cd5a46f.jpg

image.png.85457f988b8aedba767245d10f8c082d.png

TriumphVitesseClassicStreetRacingDunedinSouthIslandNewZealandTCar061.jpg.7feb2b102c0fd36d5702d606bc323d86.jpg

T07-05-23016010424.thumb.jpg.f158197df54b2a1d0161bb70e14cfc64.jpg

That the pic of mine is so much larger is just the way it comes.  Thanks to David Stallard for a superb shot!

• Like 2

On 12/06/2023 at 17:56, JohnD said:

Wow!  Or rather, Sacre Bleu!   That makes FIVE racing Vitesses in the world.   There's Kastner's Candy Box in the US, Clifford de Bono's "Beast" on Malta, possibly still one in New Zealand, and mine, SofS.

thomas2-tr6CBVitesse.jpg.7940de7ea8f47961e6f3a16d3cd5a46f.jpg

image.png.85457f988b8aedba767245d10f8c082d.png

TriumphVitesseClassicStreetRacingDunedinSouthIslandNewZealandTCar061.jpg.7feb2b102c0fd36d5702d606bc323d86.jpg

T07-05-23016010424.thumb.jpg.f158197df54b2a1d0161bb70e14cfc64.jpg

That the pic of mine is so much larger is just the way it comes.  Thanks to David Stallard for a superb shot!

JohnD - Your picture of the 'Candy Box' Vitesse reminded me that I have a model of the car purchased from a US seller in 2011 but probably made in the 1980s as it is based on a MikeanSue 1/43rd white metal kit. I noticed that the stripes (especially roof stripes) on my model differ from those in your pic. (Pic. 1 &2)

1. Were there a number of variations of the Candy Box design or has the original modeller applied the stick on stripes incorrectly?

2. In the rear view pic. of the model (Pic. 3) there are struts from the roof to rear deck - what is there purpose?

3. Pic. 4 shows the front view and Pic.5 a piece of mesh that came with the model but was not attached - I think is might have been fitted to the window for ventilation/protection - is that correct?

Thanks - Chris

1. Model Candybox Vitesse - top view.JPG

2. Model Candybox Vitesse -side view.JPG

3. Model Candybox Vitesse - rear view.JPG

4. Model Candybox Vitesse - front view.JPG

5. Model Candybox Vitesse - mesh.JPG

Chris,

Yes, I fear the modellers did get the bonnet/roof/boot stripes a bit wrong!   The way that the Candy Box is painted today is the same as it was in the day.    This pic is from the day with Carl Swanson its driver, in monochrome but you can see the  relative colours on the bonnet, and the way they are painted:

The Candy Box is for sale! - Events and Motorsports - Sideways Technologies

The slats across the rear wind screen are authentic, and were to prevent the window being blown out, at speed!   They lay flat against the glass.    You can see clips for the same purpose on the front wind screen, above.  I installed similar slats on the rear screen of the Silverback, because the rear hatch was a relatively flimsy GRP moulding:

BothcarsrearSbonly.jpg.81bedb95c730c0eabf9faf71ba4efdad.jpg

But I haven't on SofS.

And yes, that mesh is to fill in the open window next to the driver, to prevent arms being drawn out and injured in a crash. Sometimes used here, but often in the US, like this:

Universal Nylon Car Window Net Car Rally Racing Safety Collision Mesh,  Size: 60 x 50cm(Red)

JOhn

@Chris Longhurst this does remind me I should dig out my collection of Triumph slot cars for you. A good number of them still aren’t built up as the full size ones came along! I’ve got a Vitesse shell somewhere. One from the same mould had been made up as the candy box by the guy I got it from..

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

Chris,

Yes, I fear the modellers did get the bonnet/roof/boot stripes a bit wrong!   The way that the Candy Box is painted today is the same as it was in the day.    This pic is from the day with Carl Swanson its driver, in monochrome but you can see the  relative colours on the bonnet, and the way they are painted:

The Candy Box is for sale! - Events and Motorsports - Sideways Technologies

The slats across the rear wind screen are authentic, and were to prevent the window being blown out, at speed!   They lay flat against the glass.    You can see clips for the same purpose on the front wind screen, above.  I installed similar slats on the rear screen of the Silverback, because the rear hatch was a relatively flimsy GRP moulding:

BothcarsrearSbonly.jpg.81bedb95c730c0eabf9faf71ba4efdad.jpg

But I haven't on SofS.

And yes, that mesh is to fill in the open window next to the driver, to prevent arms being drawn out and injured in a crash. Sometimes used here, but often in the US, like this:

Universal Nylon Car Window Net Car Rally Racing Safety Collision Mesh,  Size: 60 x 50cm(Red)

JOhn

Many thanks for the reply/details John - I'm tempted to remove the stripes & fit new ones; but will resist the temptation as I suspect some of the paint will come off with the old stripes!!

Chris

9 hours ago, Josef said:

@Chris Longhurst this does remind me I should dig out my collection of Triumph slot cars for you. A good number of them still aren’t built up as the full size ones came along! I’ve got a Vitesse shell somewhere. One from the same mould had been made up as the candy box by the guy I got it from..

Thanks Josef

Chris

Oooooh, Josef!    May I compete with Chris for one of your Vitesse shells?     I've wanted to build up a portrait model of my race Vitesse ever since I had one, but they seem to be unavailable.   Herald, yes, but modelling the different bonnet would be too fiddly for my fingers!

If I had that many, a winter project would be to make one of all three:

a.jpg.0050bcaed7360ae4a1dbd58c7ae81ef2.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Oooooh, Josef!    May I compete with Chris for one of your Vitesse shells?     I've wanted to build up a portrait model of my race Vitesse ever since I had one, but they seem to be unavailable.   Herald, yes, but modelling the different bonnet would be too fiddly for my fingers!

If I had that many, a winter project would be to make one of all three:

a.jpg.0050bcaed7360ae4a1dbd58c7ae81ef2.jpg

Sorry John, I was just meaning I could show them to Chris! I did cast some of my own slot car shells, but the Vitesse is one I got in a trade about 15 years ago (oh dear, that’s a while…). However, I’ve done a quick search and there is a casting currently available! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175578317976?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=LGUkb-AKR2S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=en_MztWYTyu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thank you, Josef - that would be fun come winter!

It says "will fit a modified Airfix Triumph Herald chassis or can be used in conjunction with a slot car chassis " and the kit includes "4x wheel inserts".   Would the second enable a static model from my shelf, or would the Herald kit be needed?

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Thank you, Josef - that would be fun come winter!

It says "will fit a modified Airfix Triumph Herald chassis or can be used in conjunction with a slot car chassis " and the kit includes "4x wheel inserts".   Would the second enable a static model from my shelf, or would the Herald kit be needed?

John

I've had a go with this kit - the main problem I had was with very thick resin in the windows, usually it pushes out & a file will tidy up the apertures. I had to drill a number of small holes around the window frame & then file out the resin - & of course I managed to break off a quarter light pillar! Maybe the seller has reduced the amount of resin in later castings to reduce costs!

Herald Airfix kits are readily available on eBay & this is probably a cheaper option than buying a slot car chassis.

Chris

51 minutes ago, Josef said:

On the other hand, slot cars are more likely to be a source of wheels that’ll match your real life ones more closely. If you’re bothered about that level of detail!

Yes - it is likely to end up as a mix of both depending on needs. Attached a coupe of pics. of 1/32nd Herald convertibles - Slot resin bodies on Airfix chassis (which allowed detail of the seats etc. to be seen. But - I did do away with the 'complicated' Airfix suspension and fitted 'narrow slot wheels' in square plastic tube (I could not get round tube to stay attached to the Airfix chassis!). There was a lot of fettling to do - I sometimes think it is easier assembling real cars!

CV - Prototypes - white showing underside.JPG

CV Prototypes- ready to assemble 2.JPG

CV Prototypes - - awating hood well bag.JPG

CV Prototypes.docx

• Like 1

Yes, I would need to be very strict with myself, else I would be adding roll cage, race seats etc, all of which would need heavy modding of available parts!

It would b e nice to just have symbolic model(s) in the livery they all wore.

John

• 3 months later...
On 12/06/2023 at 17:56, JohnD said:

And Six!

This is on sale in New Zealand:

1968 Triumph Other Vitesse 6 | Trade Me Motors

Hope the buyer races it!

John