Vitesse Mk2 Steering column

I have finally got around to adjusting my steering column to give me as much clearance between the steering wheel and my legs.

I slackened the 4 nuts / bolts holding the steering column outer tube then slackened the lower clamp and nut with the grub screw in it.

I then pulled both the inner and outer parts towards me as far as they would go - then retightened everything.

My question is……. Does this adjustment sound safe or is the lower column shaft likely to separate from its lower section?

No it cant separate as long as the clamp is done up on the flat section machined in the shaft. The clamp centre grub screw should be set to slide and collapse to lessen the impact in a collision. I think youre best to read and satisfy yourself about this safety critical system in the manual rather than from some bods online😂

there are specific torque for the socket head screw   if a nutshell too tight it wont collapse and your dead 

too loose and you have free play at the wheel  still a nasty ending 

just right is a light nip and lock it up   the spec for the grub screw is 18-20 lbft

if you just loosen the plate bolts you wont upset the centre screw loading 

a good firm tug on the wheel or the column and both should  make a resistive slide without undoing any fixings 

Pete

1 hour ago, Puglet1 said:

Johny.

I did read about it in the workshop manual but the section was about complete strip and reassembly so I wanted to reassure myself that my adjustment was suitable.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Pete.

Theres a good exploded diagram of the steering column that shows the clamp and the flat section it locks👍

Pete and Johny.

I had previously looked at the workshop manual and tightened the grub screw using a method described as “ Using a socket key tighten the grub screw by hand as much as possible without bending the wrench”. This leaves it a little bit open depending on the strength of the Allen key so I shall now re-torque it to 18-20lbft.

Thank you both for your help.👍 

Pete.