Indicator light stay on on dashboard

Martin OD

Hi All. I have an odd problem. The green indicator light on the dashboard is always on. It does go off when the indicators are working. When I unplug the indicator CAN the light goes off. Does this sound like a CAN problem. So far it is not a worry but it does sound odd to me. I could swap out the CAN but I wonder if anyone has had this problem before. I would rather ask a question before action. (sorry, too many CANs but that is what it is). Car is Triumph Vitess mk 1, 2 lt

Edited by Martin OD
More information

I found myself pondering this on and off during the day: What failure mode of a flasher unit could cause that to be?'

With a two-pin unit (e.g 8FL type) it's difficult ot see a way to have a persistently 'on' green light - yet the indicators still...err... indicate. But with a 3-pin flasher it seems more possible because (internally) is has two sets of points. And one could fail 'closed' while the other is still operative.  But I'm theorising rather than having direct experience of the issue in question.

Is there just one type of 3 pin flasher though Chris? Theres FL5 and FL4 and early Land Rovers use a 3 pin that doesnt supply a dash repeater! I considered the same possibility with the contact as you but Martin says the dash light goes out when the indicators are working....

Not sure I have a great grip on this - I've never not resolved a flasher unit malfuction by relying on substitition. But to improve my understanding does the following sound correct(ish)?......

3-pin flashers came in two configurations. 1) the contact for the status light is normally open and closes when the main circuit is made: 2) the contact for the status is normally closed (i.e. 12v normally present at that terminal all the time when indication not in action) and the contact for the status light is opened when the flashers flash.

????

So if a Vitesse had the second type installed installed (rather than the first) might that produce the condition which Martin OD is reffering to?

No the case doesnt need earthing and that is the right unit. I really cant think of any wiring fault that could explain your problem so it must be internal. I replaced mine (same part) with a cheapy eBay one at 4 pounds del. and its working fine...