Vitesse 6, expansion tank

Vit6iw

Hi.

I was a regular user of the old forum from 2007 until 2012.  I stopped using it when I had to take my 1963 Vitesse 6 Convertible off the road due to the brake pipe to the rear wheels corroding and I lost all the brake fluid.  Not having a garage and being involved with other things prevented me from sorting it out but I'm determined to get it back on the road in time for Drive it Day 2016.

I've just registered on this new forum and this is my first post here.

When I first got the car the header tank was leaking through a seam when it was under pressure.  I got another tank to replace it and I found that I was loosing coolant everytime I stopped.  I put this down to having a 7lb cap instead of the correct 13lb cap.  I have a 13lb cap so will be using it when the car is back on the road again.

I'd like to hear of anyone else's experiences with the brass header tank fitted to the early Vit 6.  Has anyone had any problems with this set-up?

Denis

HI dennis,

have had to solder mine up twice, even a new old stock unit soon cracked at the seam,

its easy to bead some solder but getting it realy clean is difficult. Perhaps a self clean acid flux will help

sold my Vit6 but was contemplating using some small metalastic mounts to cut out any chance the seams fail from vibration or some harmonic input

keep some kseal in the system that corks up problem leaks

pete

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I didn't make Drive It Day in 2016 but I was back on the road soon after.

The replacement header tank leaked too!  I was at the IW Classic Car Show in Newport (IW) September and got talking to a chap about the leak problem.  He said his dad soldered this type of thing up and if I gave it to him he'd get him to do mine.  I gave him my other tank the following day when we met at the Ryde venue.  He is from Bournemouth.

I got the tank back, all the seams are nicely done but it still leaks!  There's a split on the bend.  I've tried Radweld and petrol tank sealer to no avail.  Brazing is the only option I think.

• 4 months later...

There was an article in the club magazine recently where Dave Rumens stated that the correct cap for the Vit6 expansion tank was 7lb.  Having a 13lb cap on explains why my tank has been leaking!

I now have the correct cap fitted to the tank which leaks the least.  I now need to get the cracks brazed up on my other tank.

Denis

7 or 13 whatever doesnt do much so long as the hoses take it ok,  its the depth of the washer seating thats important, too short and it dosnt seal at all.  

have dream about some short rubber mounts to reduce vibration.and expansion stresses ,  dont mount it too tightly allows for the tank growing when hot.

i had two and cycled them when they leaked , one was new old stock and that leaked from first fit.

but a good clean and a  blow lamp  giving a nice seam of solder should revive a leaky one .  ......for a while 

The use of 13lb rad caps only started to come in the late 1960's. That means all Vitesse 6 and 2 Litre (MK1) Vitesse were 7lb. Also you would be lucky to find any Mk2 Vitesse with a 13lb at the time.

Increasing the pressure increases the temp boiling point and hence should reduce boiling over.

That was the idea, have tried both pressure caps over many years I haven't notice any different and prefer to use the lower pressure cap.

Less pressure (Stress) on the cooling system!

Dave