“Unidentified Clunk”

Hi all,

I’m  not sure if I’m posting this in the right place but as I don’t know what the noise is I didn’t know where it should go! 

I appear to have a substantial “clunk” on my Herald when I press the gas rapidly. It’s only when I’m moving and is not linked to changing gear. Usually it happens when you are in a slow moving line of cars that suddenly accelerates and when I do too I get the clunk. The noise appears to come from mid to back of the car

Its short lived and doesn’t happen when the car is parked and free revving or when travelling at speed. 

Any help in determining what it could be gratefully received 

M

Rear axle U/joints.     Can you hear anything similar when coming off throttle?

Get under (axle stands, please!) Grasp the half shafts, twist and pull.   Excess free play will confirm.

John

Edited by JohnD

could be something torque related hitting the body so thats engine/gearbox, exhaust and diff. You could try rocking the engine violently, waggling the tail pipe and inspecting the diff moutnings for signs of movement...

Edited by johny

Exhaust catching propshaft or bodywork, a faulty mounting? If you're going underneath and pulling and tugging, DON'T rely on axle stands, get some wooden blocks under as well for good measure. 

Derek.

Thanks for this advice, very helpful. JohnD, not noticed it happen when coming off throttle but will have another listen. Johny, just replaced the gearbox and mountings renewed so possibly not that bit. (Although I think it was happening before)The noise does not occur when changing gear. Derek, thanks for this I’ll definitely chock well before any crawling under 😳