Are all front differential seals the same?

I’ve a minor weep/drip on the front differential seal on my Herald 1360, at the level of 1 drip per day!

i’ve topped up the diff, so I’m ok for level.

Just wondering which of the suppliers offerings are the best in terms of quality, or are they all the same?

Any advice, much appreciated.

I know theres two different sizes of front seal depending on the diff. Then theres modern rubber lip seals or old leather type which might only be available as old stock. Ive got a feeling the latter might be best but probably more difficult to get hold of. If using the newer type its important the surface it runs on isnt grooved or if it is the replacement seal lip is adjusted so it doesnt run in the same place....

Be aware that the early diff flanges are prone to rusting on the seal diameter. Cleaning this off usually reveals pitting which is never going to seal. You can either use a repair sleeve, or change for a better used flange.

I would also recommend a modern rubber seal, over a leather seal on an infrequently used car (all classics cars nowadays!).  

33 minutes ago, johny said:

Is it that the leather seals dry out and lose their flexibility because to me they look like they offer a greater surface contact area than modern lip seals?

Leather seals weren't designed for long periods of inactivity, they dry out.  If you are lucky the first time you use the car after a period of storage the oil soaks the seal, and all is well, but its been my experience (I rebuild these things) that they never seal properly again.

Best advice if you think you still have leather seals fitted is to drive your car regularly. 

• Thanks 2