MK2 Vitesse Convertible for sale

GFL

Posted (edited)

For anyone interested, I travelled down yesterday to view this lovely Vitesse

Setting off at 6.15am and returning at 7pm after negotiating the M1, M25, M20, A20 then returning via the M2, M25, A1 and A14/M1 never again!! It's a jungle out there.  

It really is a beautiful car though, but unfortunately my offer was refused, the owner is holding out for very close to the asking price, which is eye watering in my opinion for a Vitesse.

I know all the usual quotes about "cars are only worth what some ones willing to pay" and "Try restoring one for the money"

But seriously £19K for a Vitesse?!!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does sell, I seem to be out of touch with Vitesse values even though I've been studying all the usual auction sites and E-bay, Etc for the past few years and thought Classic car values had dropped.

What do you guys and girls think.

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

Not a fan of the wire wheels, Dunlop steelies would look better, how many owners?. Mileage?.

IMHO if I was in the market and it looked genuine I might get close to the price.

Steve

Posted (edited)
On 31/05/2024 at 15:48, Steve P said:

Not a fan of the wire wheels, Dunlop steelies would look better, how many owners?. Mileage?.

IMHO if I was in the market and it looked genuine I might get close to the price.

Steve

Its not a low owner or low milage car, I think Chris the owner said he was the 7th owner?

He did have a lot of history, receipts and details of the previous owners way back to the 1970's

The car had been subjected a very thorough and well executed restoration around 2009 to 2010 and as per the photos and is lasting very well.

The wire wheels aren't my cup of tea either, nor is the twin stainless sports exhaust, although it wasn't as loud as some that I've heard.

The only faults with it are a slightly noisy gearbox (Whining in the intermediate gears) a squeaky steering wheel, a shaky bonnet (Adjustment of the Bonnet cones may solve that one) and some minor stone chips to the front bulkhead.

As per the advert he's recently spent £5k on Tyres, Work on the Brakes/Hydraulics and some electrical items.

The car was a July 70 registered Mk2 Vitesse so I thought the Front Bulkhead may have been changed during the Restoration as it had the narrower spaced wipers, my old June 1970 registered Vitesse had the wider spaced wipers although I've read it was around mid 1970 that the wiper spacing got changed so it may have the original front bulkhead.

The colours also been changed from it's original Royal blue, but that's no big deal.

I'm keeping a record of all the Vitesse's I've seen listed for sale and viewed, a lot seem to be White with a black interior which must have been a popular choice in the 60's/70's for Vitesse and Herald convertibles.

I've told him to contact me if it doesn't sell for near his asking price  but don't expect to hear back

It's a Shame as it is definitely the best one I've seen but I just can't afford it😔

Regards

Gary          

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 10:27, Steve P said:

5k on tyres and brake and hydraulic work!!

I don't want the number of the mechanic that did that.

S

I think the £5K also included some bodywork/respraying to the passenger door and a full service.

I'm still fighting with my conscious on if to make a better offer, but I just can't get my head around paying that much for a Vitesse?

I've been watching cars sold at auction and via E-bay and the only one to come close was a lovely concours/show car that was advertised on E-Bay and sold for slightly less than the advertised price of £17.5K apparently, although I believe that car to be better but I've never actually seen it.

I'm off to North Wales to view yet another Mk2 convertible that's been fully restored after sitting in a barn for near on 30 years, I've found that private restorations can be a bit hit and miss with regards to the quality of the work and the panel fit, so I'm not building my hopes up, at least I won't have to endure the M25 again.

I'm beginning to think I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist, expecting good panel fit, paintwork and fault free mechanics

Watch this space, I will get one sooner or later folks, I promise.

Regards

Gary      

Edited by Gary Flinn

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 08:00, trigolf said:

Never mind the cost of the car Gary, but you must be racking up the fuel bill travelling the country, looking at Vits!😟

Chalk up another 250+ miles travelling to North Wales and back to look at another car listed via the Vitesse Facebook group on Sunday

At least I managed to have a few hours in Llandudno and also visit a National Trust site before travelling back with her indoors

Although this car had been fully restored chassis wise and bodily to a good standard, there were far too many modifications for my liking.

The vender had constructed all new Outriggers and side rails in thicker 2mm box sections and it was better than new underneath chassis wise (These modifications I could live with), however all the Wheel arch lips had been ground off (Presumably because of rust) and 6mm round bar shaped and welded into position to join the wing to the inner arches.

The vendor had made a lovely job of it, but it just didn't look right to me, especially on the rear arches.

He'd also got rid of the Opening Quarter lights and put in fixed glass or Perspex because he said the new Rubber seals are too expensive!

Again this didn't look right in my opinion.

The car was a very late one with a steering lock, about 120 from the last one made.

The car did have a 'J' Type Over-drive and had also been fitted with CV Driveshafts and Telescopic dampers at the rear, but the ride was terribly hard with rattles galore and the usual Vitesse/Herald door slamming was required both sides even though the correct 'J' Profile door seals had been fitted.

It was offers over £12K for this one which I thought was a bit too much.

I'm still fighting with my conscious if to offer a bit more for the Car in Kent, although it may well be sold now.

Regards 

Gary  

Edited by Gary Flinn