Gearbox Noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd

A question for you Gearbox Guru's

If a Vitesse gearbox is noisy (Whines) in the intermediate gears but is quite in top gear is this a worn layshaft or a worn Main-shaft tip or possibly both?

I've been to look at 2 Vitesse recently and both had noisy gearboxes, one was really bad.

Regards

Gary 

19 hours ago, johny said:

I think theres always going to be some noise in those as youre driving through gears while 4th is direct. Luckily the torque allows for very early use of top gear😁

Yes, I would expect some gear noise, but this was something else, worn laygear needle roller bearings or maybe a worn layshaft and Mainshaft tip/bearing too.

I do know someone who would rebuild it for me no problem but there's the expense of all the parts and the hassle of removing/replacing it.☹️ 

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 19:02, johny said:

Also you dont know the extent of the wear although noise level must be an indication. You could have damage to both mainshaft tip and laygear and this is expensive...

Johny

Ok thanks, I do know a mate who could strip and rebuild it no problem, its just the cost of the necessary parts.

The noisy gearbox was in a Vitesse I viewed last week, the vender was told the noise was the clutch release bearing!

I'm currently deciding if to make a slightly better offer, although there is no way I can pay the asking price

Link to the car below:-

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1731919

Gary     

Edited by Gary Flinn