What have I done wrong ?

If no change Im wondering if theres a problem with the alternator. In that link they say terminal L should be down to earth with ignition on but not running so the ignition light will be illuminated and then when started 12v will appear on that terminal so stopping the bulb current... 

To get things moving I’ll carry on as is though restore the brown to battery . I can monitor using volt meter as the light not work . If you fit your Denso and find the correct layout I’ll upgrade my wiring . All the best and thanks for your time & patience 

Paul 

17 hours ago, johny said:

I know it worked before but I feel sure that was by luck rather than having it wired correctly. Now I think the only conclusion left is that theres a problem in the electronics..

Re electronics - is that in the regulator ? Might be worth me getting a replacement 

Paul 

2 minutes ago, johny said:

Have you tested it as in that article Paul? Terminal L must go down to earth when youd expect the ignition light to illuminate...

With my limited knowledge the only way would be to introduce a relay which earthes terminal L when the key is operated 

Paul 

ha no if the alternator regulator is good it should earth terminal L when its turned on by the ignition switch supply to terminal IGN plus it seems no supply being connected to terminal P...

4 minutes ago, johny said:

ha no if the alternator regulator is good it should earth terminal L when its turned on by the ignition switch supply to terminal IGN plus it seems no supply being connected to terminal P...

Got it 👍. A replacement regulator “might” fix the issue ? 
Paul 

1 hour ago, johny said:

well step by step but certainly looks like terminal P shouldnt have had a 12v supply on it☹️

Bit lost Terminal P ? Where is that 

Paul 

Come on Paul keep up🤣Your photo of the diagram shows it to be the left of the three pins! Believe you had a brown wire on it connected directly to the battery but its meant for supplying a pulsed signal to a tachometer if required...

IMG_0967.thumb.jpeg.9de833da3e97d32b05375bb45c937252.jpeg

yes its an easy mistake to make and I probably would have done the same but it looks like alternators have different configurations. From that list an S indicates battery sense but as I say that model of alternator also comes in a two pin version which are just L and IG...