Losing fuel

cliff.b

After leaving my Spitty unused for a couple of weeks the fuel gauge seemed to be reading lower and on filling up the consumption was worse. I can't find any sign of a leak now and wondered if loss could be due to evaporation.

Is that plausible and is there anything that should stop that happening which might not be fitted correctly?

17 minutes ago, johny said:

I wonder if you have a hole in the sender unit float and its now got some fuel inside so sits lower☹️

That's something I hadn't considered but if so, it must leak out again as tank empties because when the tank is full it reads full.

Well the resistance of the sender isnt linear if the tank isnt a perfect cube so a small movement in one area can give more needle movement than in another. A float problem would explain the symptoms more than evaporation as the car would stink losing that much...

19 minutes ago, johny said:

Well the resistance of the sender isnt linear if the tank isnt a perfect cube so a small movement in one area can give more needle movement than in another. A float problem would explain the symptoms more than evaporation as the car would stink losing that much...

Yes, there isn't much of a smell of petrol. If it is that I suppose it doesn't really matter too much. Will have to keep an eye on fuel consumption and see if is worse after the cdr has been left standing. Haven't done nearly as many miles this year due to the weather so not checking the consumption as much. Hopefully that might change 🤞

My Sprint gave funny gauge readings found the plastic float on the end of the sender arm had with old age developed a small hole where the wire of the arm is formed into a circle that holds the float had just been sheared during it’s construction and the sharp edge had worn a very small hole in the float

Fortunately I had a spare plastic float well I’ve been into Triumphs 58 years so I have a good collection of spares!

• Like 1