Cylinder head number location Mk2 Vitesse

Puglet1

Yes to my Vitesse 2lt Mk2, Aug 68 produced, UK Reg Nov 68, milage around 75,000 miles.

Re formulae what I got off web, the result was what was expected for my engine when I checked measurements from around 5 years ago I was getting 183 to 190 psi

• Like 1

As I said above, a compression reading is like putting your hand out of the window to se if it's raining.   You can  tell if it's  pouring or only drizzling, but a Compression reading IS NOT A PRECISION MEASUREMENT!   And one person's drizzle will be another's rainstorm, it's as long as a piece of string, and about as useful as a weather rock.

Weather Rock Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia Weather Rock,, 41% OFF

So to try and convert that reading back into a compression ratio is worthless. 

If you would like to read more about CR, may I humbly offer my article on Sideways?     How To Raise The Compression Ratio, Safely And Effectively. - Technical Articles & Reviews - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

John

Will follow your reference John I understand Re variables of testing and compression test BUT I can assure you my pressure gauge is standards calibrated annually as part of my works field equipment!

using the generic formulae a 5psi pressure difference can make the difference between 9 and 7 in the compression ratio.

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

As I said above, a compression reading is like putting your hand out of the window to se if it's raining.   You can  tell if it's  pouring or only drizzling, but a Compression reading IS NOT A PRECISION MEASUREMENT!   And one person's drizzle will be another's rainstorm, it's as long as a piece of string, and about as useful as a weather rock.

Weather Rock Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia Weather Rock,, 41% OFF

So to try and convert that reading back into a compression ratio is worthless. 

If you would like to read more about CR, may I humbly offer my article on Sideways?     How To Raise The Compression Ratio, Safely And Effectively. - Technical Articles & Reviews - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

John

Very interesting reading there John and definitely the right way to stay in control of CR.

I’ve only just put my vitesse back on the road after many months of work including a rear spring overhaul, diff upgrade to 3.6, telescopic shocker conversion, new clutch and brake master cylinders, clutch pedal clevis pin hole welding and redrilling, fuel line replacement and various carb problems…..The list goes on !

So I am reluctant to take it off the road to conduct the procedures required.

It drives well but now I know that the engine isn’t performing as well as it should I need to track down a vitesse cylinder head or a suitable alternative and replace it.

This will allow me to keep the car on the road while looking for a suitable replacement.

Thank you for your input. It’s much appreciated.

Pete.

Glad to help, Pete puglet!

Pete Truman, if your compression guage is calibrated annually, I admire your professionalism!       Most people, me included, leave it in a drawer all year and are happy to.use it to compare cylinders on the same engine.  But I still wouldn't compare my readings with yours!

John