Can we talk escutcheons?

Hi,

I bought two new escutcheons to replace the two covering the light and indicator stalks for my Herald. I bought them from Rimmers and I have a bit of a problem fitting them. Firstly, they aren’t quite the same profile around the steering column which I reckon I can make work but worse than that, they have a lip that should go at the back, but if I do, that means the stamp on the  escutcheon showing the part number, faces front and looks awful. Moreover, it makes it more difficult to apply the decals to the surface.

Anyone else had a similar problem? 

thanks 

Not had any problem with the originals, other than making sure they're a pair and so fit into each other as they should. I wonder are these an incorrect pattern - can you post photos? Originals don't have a stamped part number, so again photos will give us an idea of the problem. 

These will be pattern replacements Colin and looks like theres just one type sold for both sides 708479 - were there two different parts originally? Must admit I just resprayed my originals and didnt check if they were different to each other...

Edited by johny

yes I see there used to be two different part numbers but now sold as just one and I assume you just turn one upside down to fit the other side so anything stamped on the reverse is hidden in both cases...

Thanks for the comments. They are new replacement parts as my originals were cracked and a bit tatty. I did get in contact with Rimmers who said this was their only manufacturer so nothing could be done.

Anyhow, this  morning I fettled them with the aid of a file and a Stanley knife and fitted them so the part number stamp (which you are right, wasn’t on the originals) was at the back. New decals added and I’m please with the result  

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

Thanks and that’s very true. I shop around for some of the more major parts (clutch, gearbox etc) but I tend to forget with the more minor parts. Must remember next time

Well some suppliers really know how to charge and although I dont mind paying a bit more for convenience or range of stock held etc it hurts when you see the percentage profit they must make on some items (many of which come from exactly the same manufacturer) and then of course it doesnt reward the companies that do make an effort...

I looked at some pattern replacements but wasn't happy with them, they were a bit wavy/thin and lacked the sharpness of the genuine ones.

In the end I sanded mine down with some 800 grit and gave them a couple of coats of gloss black and new waterslide labels, and they look great!

IMG_1099.JPEG

Edited by Jon J 1250
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've tried all sorts of products on the plastic versions, from toothpaste and Brasso to T-Cut and thinners, with varying success, but in the end just use the early metal versions that can be sandblasted and repainted.

You can paint the original plastic ones too, they look good as new if you take care with it.

On 02/08/2024 at 16:15, Jon J 1250 said:

You can paint the original plastic ones too, they look good as new if you take care with it.

Jon

Can you tell us what paint you used, they look better than new?

Mine are a bit tatty, another job for the Winter I reckon.

Gary 

3 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Jon

Can you tell us what paint you used, they look better than new?

Mine are a bit tatty, another job for the Winter I reckon.

Gary 

Hi Gary,

Nothing special, just Pro-Cote gloss black from ToolStation, have been using it and the Satin black variant for many years, it's good value, and doesn't tend to react with other paints.
I repainted the steering column with it too.

https://www.toolstation.com/industrial-spray-paint-500ml/p12268

JJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon J 1250 said:

Hi Gary,

Nothing special, just Pro-Cote gloss black from ToolStation, have been using it and the Satin black variant for many years, it's good value, and doesn't tend to react with other paints.
I repainted the steering column with it too.

https://www.toolstation.com/industrial-spray-paint-500ml/p12268

JJ

Ok thanks

Any primer required and how many coats of paint?

Gary 

2 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Ok thanks

Any primer required and how many coats of paint?

Gary 

I honestly don't remember about primer, sorry, but I don't think I did as I wouldn't if I were painting them today.
Certainly I gave them three coats and a gentle polish 

JJ

• Like 1