CLM and exchange rates.....getting nervous

Clive

http://www.natwest.com/tools/commercial/currency_rates/rates.asp

That is the all important webpage as it tells us if we are likely to get a surcharge on our tssc bookings. Currently 1.2649, if it drops below 1.26 we may get a 5% surcharge, below 1.21 it could be 10‰ Ouch.

So we need to see the pound strengthen, but the economic uncertainty with impending referendum is unlikely to help.

Hopefully the club has already paid much of the costs to the organisers, or put money into a euro account when the rate was high, and can keep any extra costs to a minimum.....

Hello Clive.

You many wish to have a look at the FairFX pre-paid debit card (www.fairfx.com)

The company offers a rate normally above other financial institutions and more importantly the rate you buy at is locked in to the card; so no fluctuations.

Additionally the card does not levy a fee when being used abroad. It can be topped up at any time via online, phone etc and any remaining currency left on the card remains locked at the rate you purchased.

So when the rate is moody as it is now, it's a great time to load the card. 

We used the card in France last year and it worked seamlessly, incurring no fees whatsoever.

Fair FX will also give you a bonus top-up when you load the card over a certain amount.

We are going back to France twice this year and will be using it again. Additionally saves carting about Euro cash or whatever currency you decide to load upon it.

The card is accepted in all shops, ATM's (minor charge for that) and other financial transaction venues, so it is really like have a debit card without fees.

The card was highly regarded via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com as a way to ensure better value without fees.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Richard. 

Further to the above, it looks as though the following are also hot favourites:

Revolut - perfect rates & £5 bonus OR WeSwap - perfect rates & £10 bonus.

All that said, FairFX are still providing a very good incentive.

As with all these things it's a case of monitoring to see "who" is giving the best at the time.

Regards.

Richard.

We have consulted the oracle (MSE) for spending abroad. 

Wish I had bought/loaded a prepay card a few months ago though.....we would have got near 1.40 IIRC. Our summer holiday just went through at 1.30 but I have a nasty feeling we will be down to the mid teens in a few months and in the aftermath of the referendum.

Hey ho, can't take it with you.

We have consulted the oracle (MSE) for spending abroad. 

Wish I had bought/loaded a prepay card a few months ago though.....we would have got near 1.40 IIRC. Our summer holiday just went through at 1.30 but I have a nasty feeling we will be down to the mid teens in a few months and in the aftermath of the referendum.

Hey ho, can't take it with you.

As my friend who is 84 says, "You can't take it with you, so I'm not leaving!"

• Like 1