What bolts required to mount 1147 onto engine stand

Tipidave

I am about to buy an engine stand (from machine mart I think) prior to removal of my 1147 herald engine later this month. I have never used an engine stand before… any tips? Also how do I know what bolts I will need to mount engine on the stand? 

You’ll have to use longer versions of the bolts that hold the rear engine plate to the engine. I’ve bolted the stand directly to the block, I’ve seen others recommend using a sacrificial spare rear plate that bolts to the block and is modified to allow the stand to bolt to it. 

4 minutes ago, Josef said:

You’ll have to use longer versions of the bolts that hold the rear engine plate to the engine. I’ve bolted the stand directly to the block, I’ve seen others recommend using a sacrificial spare rear plate that bolts to the block and is modified to allow the stand to bolt to it. 

Sacrificial is good advice, you can bend the plate if you use it for support alone. When I bought my first (and only) engine stand I used long lengths of threaded rod due to the strange 'feet' on the arms of the stand. Screwed them into the appropriate holes on the block, then adjusted the arms to take them, and used heavy washers and nuts to secure them. Knowing me, it was probably wrong, but nothing fell off or was damaged.

Yes, "sacrificial"!    I have an old back plate that I use for this purpose.   It allows you to use bigger bolts than would fit into the engine block, up to the capacity of the stand.

Adaptedbackplateforenginestand.jpg.e5fad2c43839fbf13e4963ed2a2ed030.jpg

It's painted red so that I never use it on a new engine, although the bigger hole in the middle to allow easier rear oil seal installation is a bit of a giveaway.   If you don't have a spare back plate, then buy a piece of 4mm steel plate, roughly rectangular so you can drill a hole in each corner (see above on the plate for where I mount mine to the stand).    AS can be seen these have been drilled out for bigger bolts.

There are other ways that suit the four cylinder well, such as side mounting:

Sidemountenginestand.jpg.f72905724a1e7c5b59241cb410e69065.jpg

John

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

There are other ways that suit the four cylinder well, such as side mounting:

Sidemountenginestand.jpg.f72905724a1e7c5b59241cb410e69065.jpg

John

You mean sixes? Fours - at least all of mine, (always open to correction) - don't have that side mounting, only the legs off the front plate.

I like the cutaway for the rear seal, never thought of that. 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You mean sixes? Fours - at least all of mine, (always open to correction) - don't have that side mounting, only the legs off the front plate.

Of course!   Doh!   

I glanced at the block in the pic, saw (just) four bores, and forgot completely that  a four doesn't have that mount buttress!    The length of a six, mounted by the back, does increase the leverage of its weight, which might bend a back plate.  But my old and butchered one is still straight!

Thank you for the photos and advice. Duly noted. Planning to remove end of month and trying to anticipate what “ducks” need lining up 😀👍

fortunately my dad is allowing me to use his nicely empty garage… but this does mean that I will need to bring everything I am going to need. 

Any other nuggets of advice gratefully received 😀👍